EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR - FAMILY CONNECTIONS
Family Connections is a nonprofit organization operating in San Mateo & Santa Clara Counties built on the vision that underserved children will thrive when whole families thrive. To build the foundations for future success, Family Connections has provided a free, bilingual family learning community for families with young children since 1993. Families benefit from in-depth, personalized family support services paired with high-quality education programs for both children and their parents.
- Thriving Families serves families with little ones from ages 0-5. It is a continuum of parent-participatory early childhood education that supports whole-family learning.
- Young Scholars accompanies families through kindergarten and elementary school as they navigate new challenges of the school and health system, building on the foundational skills developed in earlier programs with homework help, workshops, and parent education nights.
- Wrap-around services for all families include emotional and mental health support groups, access to other support resources through referrals to community partners, and relationship and community building events like “Daddy and Me” days.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a full time Executive Director to work onsite overseeing the organization's operations. The Executive Director will oversee the organization’s fundraising, marketing, operations, finances and programs. They will ensure the delivery of high-quality programs while leading the organization into its next phase of growth with more structured systems and processes.
LEADERSHIP & VISION
- Provide thoughtful executive leadership that is inclusive, transparent and empowering in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of
- Foster an inclusive and welcoming organizational culture that is committed to integrating DEIA
(diversity, equity, inclusion and Access) .
- Understand and keep abreast of the needs of underserved families and their children within the organization’s service area; maintain a strong knowledge of significant trends and developments in early childhood education, K-12 student and parent needs and overall family dynamics.
- In collaboration with the Board and staff, implement the organization’s strategic plan while ensuring day to day financial accountability and operational efficiency.
COMMUNITY VISIBILITY, FUNDRAISING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Increase awareness of Family Connections’ mission, programs, partners and impact in the community; promote the organization as the preeminent provider and thought leader for parent participatory education programs for children of low-income families.
- Actively and visibly represent the organization amongst public and government entities, foundations, corporations, community partners, individual donors and other key organizations in San Mateo and Santa Clara counties.
- As the primary fundraiser for the organization, drive development and fundraising in collaboration with staff and Board; set clear and measurable fundraising goals
- Identify, cultivate and solicit major and planned gifts; seek to expand local revenue generating and broaden fundraising activities in sophistication and scope as the organization’s work evolves.
- Ensure transparent marketing and communications to all stakeholders that further the mission and clearly demonstrate impact.
GENERAL MANAGEMENT, FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION
- Foster a collaborative working environment that attracts and retains a diverse and effective staff; champion accountability amongst staff.
- Manage and motivate staff, overseeing processes such as hiring, separation, ongoing staff development, performance management and compensation and benefits
- Lead the budget and financial planning process; be accountable for the organization’s adherence to a sustainable financial plan and budget; oversee internal and external financial controls; prepare financial and operating reports for the board and stakeholders.
- Ensure safe, high-quality facilities are maintained and operated; seek to increase productivity and organizational efficiency with technology and infrastructure improvements.
PROGRAM AND SERVICES
- Ensure the programs and services achieve the mission and purpose of Family Connections while advocating for and empowering the families we serve.
- Work with the programming staff to continuously evaluate and improve the quality and impact of programs.
- Encourage the experimentation and piloting of new innovative programs and services to meet evolving family needs.
- Secure the Board’s trust and confidence; provide timely and concise communications on critical matters and financial and fundraising assessments; make clear and sound recommendations for Board action.
- With the Board Chair, coordinate the efforts of various committees and task forces, develop
Board meeting agendas, schedules and retreats; attend Board meetings.
- Provide support and act as a liaise between the board, staff, and external stakeholders.
- Assist the Board in identifying and recruiting new Board members.
IDEAL EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
The Executive Director should have the following experiences and qualifications:
- Strong leadership skills; knowledge of non-profit best practices; direct experience evolving operations from early stage to the next phase of growth with more structured systems and processes.
- In depth knowledge of the community served by Family Connections with a proficiency in
- Proven managerial and operational effectiveness in organizations or departments of similarly sized budgets and staff; financial and budgeting experience in the not-for-profit, public or private sectors.
- A successful track record in attracting financial support from individuals, foundations, businesses, and/or government sources; demonstrated results in personally cultivating and sustaining donors; experience managing funds from public agencies.
- Human resources knowledge; adept at staff training and development, motivating, support and problem solving.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills; a confident public speaker and presenter; the ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Thoughtful and strategic approach to building organizations and programs to address community needs.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in the education or human services sector.
- An entrepreneurial spirit and balanced risk-taker; one with imagination who can see the possibilities of serving people more effectively through innovative programs and services.
- Sets the bar high for themself and their team; a “doer” with a willingness to work hands-on without micromanaging; a high energy level, upbeat personality; values and appreciates hard work and commitment.
- Results-oriented; adept at planning, prioritizing, organizing and following through.
- Straight-forward, transparent, listens well and provides feedback when and where appropriate, and imparts trust and integrity, open to different points of view.
- Flexible, but with strong time management and prioritization skills.
- A high level of emotional intelligence; committed to developing staff and treating them with respect and kindness.
- An individual possessing patience and a sense of humor, who is able to maintain balance and perspective.
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Pay: $120,000.00 - $140,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
All staff are required to be vaccinated and wear a mask indoors. Following CDC guidelines.