Digital Accessibility Specialist
We’re looking for a full-time Digital Accessibility Specialist to join our team. The person in this role will ensure that all services and products we build are truly inclusive and accessible.
Day to day, you’ll be testing and remediating PDFs of varying lengths and content—from longer research reports to short research briefs and infographics—and helping to ensure the accessibility of consumer websites. Using best practices at the intersection of graphic design and accessibility, you’ll also design and develop accessible templates (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, webpages). You’ll work across our research teams, helping to embed accessibility considerations into our processes and developing a framework for staying on top of evolving standards and technologies. In addition to working with our in-house teams, you’ll communicate with and manage interactions with the third-party vendors that occasionally assist our efforts.
This is a remote position but with the eventual option of working from our Cambridge, Massachusetts office, which is accessible by public transportation.
For 45 years, we’ve been working to promote choice and personalization in human services, and to improve the availability of services and make them simpler for people to access. In addition to research products, we’ve been developing websites and digital solutions that support our vision for person-centered social services—and we’re looking for a talented person to help make sure that all users have a good experience with them.
At HSRI, you’ll find flexible working, an inclusive culture, and a place where your opinion is valued. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
- Remain current on Government Section 508 accessibility requirements and Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Recommend and use assistive technologies such as screen reader software (NVDA, JAWS), and accessibility test tools (ANDI, color contrast analyzers, etc.)
- Perform complete Section 508 testing and remediation on electronic documents and websites; when needed, coordinate with third-party vendors (document remediators)
- Provide feedback to clients on testing results and assist in the creation of remediation plans for web applications and websites; may involve Section 508 Testing Templates for documentation
- Coordinate accessibility audits and deployment certification with third-party vendors
- Help to run occasional accessibility training sessions, talks and workshops across the organization
- 2-4 years of experience or equivalent
- Excellent communication and customer service skills
- Strong computer background and demonstrated competence in rapidly researching and learning new applications
- Strong accessibility testing background (preferred: knowledge of JAWS, NVDA, ANDI, Color Contrast checker, WCAG 2.1 AA Standards, Section 508 Accessibility requirements)
- Experience remediating electronic documents (PDF, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) for Section 508 compliance
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably with a diverse population, independently, and as part of a team
- Demonstrated ability to work in deadline-driven environment
- IAAP Accessible Document Specialist credentials
- Graphic design experience
- Familiarity with WordPress and Squarespace, including accessible themes and plug-ins
- Experience creating SharePoint sites
- Acquaintance with Microsoft BI and Azure tools
How to Apply:
Interested candidates are encouraged to submit a Cover Letter and Resume/CV through HSRI’s Career Center.
You can also cut/paste the URL into your browser: https://workforcenow.adp.com/jobs/apply/posting.html?client=hsri&ccId=19000101_000001&type=MP&lang=en_US
Materials can also be mailed to:
Attention: Human Resources
Human Services Research Institute
2336 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02140
No phone calls, please
Apply Here: https://www.click2apply.net/j7axDWfAGP5VspkXCxkBD