State Fair Community College will be an exceptional student-centered college that empowers individuals to grow, thrive and prosper within a changing world.
State Fair Community College provides relevant and innovative learning experiences that successfully prepare students for college transfer, career development and lifelong learning. SFCC is committed to being accessible and affordable; values collaborative partnerships; and strengthens and enriches the intellectual, economic and cultural vitality of the communities it serves.
Position Summary: The TRiO Student Success Coach is responsible for the successful retention, advising, and transfer of approximately 80 TRiO STEPS students. The TRiO SSC teaches courses, plans activities, advises, as well as meticulously documents student participation for federal TRiO Student Support Services Grant. Position is contingent upon continued grant funding per the Department of Education.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
Essential Functions and Duties:
Under general supervision:
- Retains students in the program, and helps students accomplish their academic goals and transfer to a four-year college to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree
- TRiO advisors recruit, interview and help select students for the TRiO Student Support Services program
- Provides personal support, financial aid advising, and career counseling
- Helps students with disabilities obtain accommodations and other support actions as necessary for the Students in TRiO for Educational Preparation and Success program
- Assists in promotion, marketing, and recruitment activities for the project
- Assist in program development and evaluation process
- Identifies and selects eligible program participants
- Develops and presents workshops to participants
- Arranges and participates in cultural enrichment events for participants
- Maintains comprehensive records of participant contacts
- Teaches TRiO Skills courses
- Assists in the maintenance of program data and develops individualized academic success plans for participants and provides each student academic advising and course selection each semester
- Assists students in transfer process to four-year colleges
- Arranges and participates in tours of colleges to which program participants may transfer. Supervises the TRiO Mentor Program, facilitates the TRiO Student Organization, and collaborates with Tutor Coordinator and tutors
- Advocate for the success of STEPS participants by serving on appropriate campus committees.
The preceding duties are provided as examples of the essential types of work performed by this position. The director reserves the right to add, modify, change or rescind work assignments as needed.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
Experience – Two years advising, counseling or teaching in higher education. Experience working with similar population or in a TRiO program preferred.
Education – Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred* in Education, Counseling, Social Work, or Higher Education Administration.*
Needed Skills – Knowledge of: Academic advising, financial aid, college admissions, degree requirements, career exploration, student development theory, academic study skills, transfer processes, disability services and best practice models, which address barriers for first generation and low-income students.
Ability to: Communicate effectively with diverse population of students, faculty and staff. Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of economically and educationally disadvantaged individuals, as well as students with disabilities. Coordinate and evaluate the activities of students by identifying measures of system performance and the actions needed to improve performance.
- Strong Computer Skills required
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and stand and walk.
Standard Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
Travel Requirements: Some travel is required. Student Success Coaches will accompany students on campus visits and cultural enrichment activities that may require overnight travel. Professional development may also necessitate travel that may include overnight travel.
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and transcripts for review.
SFCC is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of State Fair Community College not to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, or veteran status in its educational programs, activities or employment as required by law in regard to admissions, awarding financial aid, access to courses and programs, and all student services as well as the recruitment, admission and retention of students.
As part of our enduring commitment to inclusive excellence on our campus, State Fair Community College, is a member of the Greater Missouri Higher Education Recruitment Consortium_ (HERC). HERC supports job seekers through the higher education job search process and it supports institutions in their efforts to create inclusive recruitment, hiring, and retention practices for staff and faculty._