The Vice President of Development serves as the principal fundraising strategist and primary major gift officer of State Theatre New Jersey (“STNJ”) and an integral part of the leadership team. The VP is responsible for the development, management, and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising program consistent with STNJ’s current needs and long-term goals for sustainability and growth. STNJ’s annual budget is $10-12 million, of which $2.5 million is contributed income including membership, as well as restricted and unrestricted annual gifts.
Reports to: President & CEO
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Salary: $100,000 - $120,000 (dependent on experience) plus benefits including health and retirement
Roles and Responsibilities:
Fundraising Strategy and Oversight:
- In coordination with Development staff, create, oversee, and implement annual fundraising and membership campaigns to attract philanthropic support for STNJ.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward individual major gift prospects and donors with comprehensive giving capacity.
- Oversee appropriate solicitation efforts to engage new and recurring individual and major gift donors.
- Develop strategy for renewed and new corporate, small business, and private foundation support. Attend solicitations, when appropriate.
- Collaborate with Vice President of Marketing to ensure agreed upon donor and community centric messaging is in line with Development activities.
- Work with President & CEO and Board of Trustees Development Committee Chairperson to create and implement a strong Board giving program and empower the Board members as ambassadors for STNJ.
- Work with the Board of Trustees Development Committee Chairperson to streamline Advisory and Business Councils, creating ad-hoc Development Committee members responsible for supporting all Development activities including annual giving, membership, business sponsorship, and events.
Management of Development Activities and Staff:
- Supervise and mentor the Development staff, ensuring that they are accountable to their individual Development plans and goals.
- Supervise the implementation of all levels of gift solicitation strategies.
- Maintain adherence to the Development budget.
- Provide strategic guidance for Development staff when challenges arise operationally or with donors/members.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- 7+ years of non-profit fundraising experience with demonstrated success in development functions.
- Strong interpersonal and cultivation skills.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage a variety of assignments concurrently and meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to mange a team of fundraising and support staff.
- Ability to work a varied schedule to include nights and weekends as dictated by the performance schedule.
- Experience working with volunteer Boards of Trustees and Development Committees.
- Experience in using data analysis to inform donor and prospect strategies.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products with emphasis on Excel and Word.
- Knowledge and appreciation of performing arts.
- Experience with Tessitura software or other CRM transactional database.
- Experience working with reporting software and utilities.
About State Theatre New Jersey
State Theatre New Jersey is the centerpiece and premier venue for the New Brunswick arts community. State Theatre presents a diverse roster of entertainment, including international orchestras, Broadway, comedy, dance, contemporary concerts, family events, and more. The theater is the state’s second largest not-for-profit presenting hall, which contributes commensurately to New Jersey's $45 million performing-arts tourism industry, annually attracting more than 200,000 patrons. In addition, some 30,000 students and teachers annually attend its school performances and participate in its in-school robust education programs, including the Artist-in-Residence program, Family Day, Milk & Cookies Series, Autism-Friendly Relaxed Performances, and other outreach activities.
State Theatre New Jersey is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $100,000.00 - $120,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Ability to Commute/Relocate:
- New Brunswick, NJ 08901: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
- Fundraising: 7 years (Required)
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Temporarily due to COVID-19