The University of Montana Foundation seeks an innovative and strategic Vice President of Development with a demonstrated record of success leading development programs, motivating high-performing teams, fostering engagement of internal and external stakeholders, inspiring achievement of aspirational goals, and building upon the Foundation’s commitment to integrity and excellence.
Reporting to the UM Foundation President and CEO, the Vice President of Development leads the Foundation’s development team and implementation of fundraising strategies in annual, major, principal, regional, planned, and corporate and foundation giving. The Vice President will manage a team of more than 20 development professionals in collaboration with an Associate Vice President of Development, to be recruited and hired by the Vice President. The Vice President will work with the President and CEO to support engagement of the university president and other university leaders in development. The Vice President serves in a critical leadership role as a member of the Foundation’s five-person executive management team.
In 2020, the University of Montana and UM Foundation concluded the largest comprehensive campaign in Montana state history, inspiring $450 million in private giving during a seven-year campaign that far exceeded the original $320 million goal. The Vice President of Development will play a key role in planning and directing the university’s next comprehensive campaign.
Missoula is a thriving community of 77,000 residents who make their home where five valleys converge. Set in an outdoor playground of majestic mountains, scenic valleys and winding rivers, Missoula residents enjoy four distinct seasons, an energetic college-town vibe and unparalleled recreational opportunities.
Missoula’s vibrant downtown lies north of the Clark Fork River, which runs through the heart of the city. Residents and visitors flock there for its locally owned restaurants and bars, eclectic retail stores and during the summer, its bustling Saturday farmer’s market scene.
Missoula offers outstanding cultural and entertainment opportunities that contribute to the “Missoula Lifestyle.” Big-name and local artists play Missoula’s varied concert venues and festivals. Local residents enjoy excellent art galleries, public lectures, theatrical productions, sporting events and world-class fly-fishing.
- Rattlesnake Wilderness Area: 5 miles
- Montana Snow Bowl Ski Area: 7 miles
- Glacier National Park: 139 miles
- Yellowstone National Park: 269 miles
- There are 3.1 million acres of wilderness within a 100-mile radius of campus.
The University of Montana Foundation
Since 1950, the UM Foundation has delivered on its mission to inspire philanthropic support to enhance excellence and opportunity at UM.
The UM Foundation is an independent, nonprofit organization that serves UM by managing private fundraising efforts, donations and investment of endowed gifts. Governed by a Board of Trustees, the UM Foundation operates under an agreement with UM that is reviewed and approved by the Montana University System Board of Regents.
The Foundation’s dedicated trustees, trustee emeriti, staff professionals, volunteers and student employees bring broad expertise and deep commitment to the mission-critical work of the Foundation.
These Foundation stakeholders believe in the power of generous people to make a difference in the world. They believe philanthropy definitively shapes UM as a world-class institution that improves the life of every student.
Our core values guide us in all that we do:
- We are passionate about delivering an exceptional donor experience
- We inspire each other to do our best work
- We act with integrity and respect
- We innovate thoughtfully and with purpose
The Foundation manages a long-term investment portfolio, valued at $265 million,established to provide ongoing annual support for scholarships, faculty, programs, and other University priorities.
The UM Foundation offices are located in a new building on the beautiful University of Montana campus. The Foundation currently employs nearly 60 professional staff working across teams focused on development, finance and operations, information systems, and marketing and communications.
The University of Montana
As Montana’s flagship university, the University of Montana sets a high bar for academic studies, creative accomplishments, and scientific exploration. The University draws a diverse, global population to Missoula and helps cultivate an educated, engaged and vibrant community. Students receive a world-class education in a broad range of subjects that include the trades, liberal arts, sciences, graduate and postdoctoral study and professional training.
- Alexander Blewett III School of Law
- College of Business
- College of Health
- College of Humanities and Sciences
- College of the Arts and Media
- Davidson Honors College
- Missoula College
- Phyllis J. Washington College of Education
- W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation
The University’s Grizzly Athletics programs are energized by passionate and loyal fans. In addition, student athletes lend to the University’s academic distinction, logging an average cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above for the past 15 consecutive semesters.
Vice President of Development
The Vice President helps set the strategic direction for the Foundation’s fundraising efforts and is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of a comprehensive fundraising program. The Vice President leads and manages an Associate Vice President of Development and a professional staff focused around annual, major, principal, regional, planned, and corporate and foundation giving. The Foundation team is highly productive, achieving a higher ROI and lower cost per dollar raised than national peers and is highly regarded with internal and external constituents.
The Vice President reports to the President and CEO, working in close collaboration with the Foundation’s executive leadership team which includes the Chief Finance and Operations Officer, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications, and Associate Vice President of Information Systems. The Vice President serves as staff liaison to the Development Committee of the Board and participates in the work of the Executive Committee of the Board.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage all phases of a comprehensive development program and fundraising campaigns
- Work collaboratively with the Foundation’s executive management team to develop and implement organizational-wide policies, systems and practices designed to deliver exceptional experiences for donor and external constituents.
- Manage, in collaboration with an Associate Vice President of Development, a development team of professionals to ensure successful implementation of annual fundraising plans and donor strategies and achievement of staff performance goals and aspirational fundraising goals
- Manage department budgets and assure appropriate resource allocation to key priorities
- Develop and supervise professional development opportunities for the development team to achieve best practices and excellence.
- Serve as liaison to campus deans and other fundraising partners
- Maintain and strengthen relationships with key volunteers and enhance volunteer engagement in fundraising campaigns and strategies
The successful candidate will be an innovative and strategic development professional who shares a commitment to the mission and values of the Foundation. Other qualifications include:
- Demonstrated ability to build productive teams that consistently achieve organizational goals in support of defined institutional priorities
- Proven ability to create and implement effective fundraising strategies
- Proven success in cultivating, soliciting and closing six- and seven-figure gifts with individuals, foundations and corporations
- A minimum of five years of professional experience as a performance-driven senior development officer or higher within higher education or other nonprofit institution
- A minimum of three years management or supervisory experience over a development program focused on six- and seven-figures gifts driven by performance metrics and accountability
- Demonstrated ability to implement and provide oversight of ongoing development efforts, design performance metrics that drive performance, and engage in data-driven decision making
- Knowledge and understanding of higher education practices and collaborations with a variety of constituents and colleagues
- Extraordinary judgement and the highest degree of personal and professional integrity and ethical standards
- Excellent oral and written skills communicating with a variety of constituents, including high-profile leaders and high net worth donors
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal skills, diplomacy, and integrity to build and maintain trusting relationships with staff, volunteers, donors, and others to achieve their maximum potential
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and develop solutions to complex problems in a fast-paced environment with professionalism and creativity
- Bachelor degree or higher from an accredited university
The position will remain open until filled but only applications received by July 25, 2021 can be assured full consideration. Candidates should apply online at supportum.org/aboutus/employmentopportunities.
For more information about the UM Foundation please visit: SupportUM.org
For more information about the University of Montana please visit: www.umt.edu.
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Vision insurance