FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Social Media Manager
Multiple Locations Considered
Application Deadline: July 14, 2021
Feel like getting up each morning and engaging with an audience that runs in the millions? Does the idea of being the social media gatekeeper for one of the world's most impactful NGOs excite you?
The Digital Team at Human Rights Watch is looking for someone to take our success as one of the world's most influential NGOs to the next level on social media. HRW boasts one of the largest social media followings of any NGO, with more than 11 million followers across dozens of accounts in multiple languages. We are looking for someone to develop and execute strategies to ensure continued growth on our platforms, and increase the engagement with our audience. Social media is a critical channel for HRW, reaching core targets, millions of readers and helping frame the global daily news conversation around human rights. While embedded in the Digital team, the Social Media Manager would work closely with members the wider Media department, as well as collaborate with staff across the organization to ensure our social channels are supporting the work of the organization. While multiple locations will be considered, the preferred location would be in North America time zones. The Social Media Manager would report to the Digital Director based in Toronto.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are currently closed or operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely in the interim. We recognize that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
1. Generate, edit, publish and share engaging content daily on HRW English language social channels;
2. Manage and grow social media audiences;
3. Support, train and advise HRW staff on social media best practices and strategies;
4. Generate, distribute and refine regular data reports on HRW social media performance;
5. Help maintain collaborative HRW culture with a positive attitude;
6. Be engrossed by things HRW staff are sharing, liking, recommending and talking about all things human rights related on social; engage with staff to generate content;
7. Actively monitor social media for breaking news and trending topic opportunities;
8. Monitor current technologies and trends in social media, design tools and applications; lead organization in developing new platforms and tools;
9. Focus on leveraging ongoing content relationships that drive diverse new audiences to HRW properties;
10. Test regularly new content and message formats on social media in growth hacking experiments;
11. Be internal expert on marketing and audience development industry standards, best practices, benchmarks and insights;
12. Track ROI on all channels; and
13. Perform others tasks as required.
Experience : 5 years of full-time experience in social media marketing, audience development, content partnerships in digital media, publishing, politics or nonprofit marketing.
Education : A level of education that when combined with your professional experience will adequately show you have the capability to contribute meaningfully to HRW's social media efforts.
Skills and Experience
1. A strong understanding of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, Clubhouse and what sorts of content best engages audience on these platforms
2. Demonstrated ability in growing social media channels
3. Fluency in an additional language is desirable
4. Experience with an enterprise level social media platform, Social Studio by Salesforce preferred
5. Experience executing a social media influencer campaign
6. Understanding of social media analytics and reporting
7. A track record for conveying and packaging impactful content for social media
8. Strong client/ external partner management experience with exceptional presentation skills
9. Proven ability to collaborate and work cross-functionally
10. Experience working closely with content teams
11. Outstanding written and verbal communication skill
Salary and Benefits : HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation and employer-paid benefits. HRW offers a relocation assistance package and will assist employees in obtaining necessary work authorization, if required; citizens of all nationalities are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply : Please apply immediately or by July 14, 2021 by visiting our online job portal at careers.hrw.org and attaching a cover letter and a resume or CV. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse . We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.