Position TitleLead Custodian
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
Reports to (title)Manager I, Maintenance
Job Open Date06/22/2021
Open Until FilledYes
Priority Review Date07/09/2021
Cleans at advanced custodial levels and leads by example, teaches, and mentors teams of custodians to complete projects to maintain Salt Lake Community College facilities, to ensure acceptable and orderly levels for all classes, meetings, and events.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Responsible to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians in cleaning indoor/outdoor common areas: sidewalks, ramps, patios, entryways, atriums, stairways, elevators, hallways, and balconies. In these areas would include: Extract and detail carpets & upholstery. Strip and resurface hard floors. Responsible to sweep, mop, & vacuum. Empty trash, and ash urns, & clean garbage cans. Clean glass and doors & frames. Wipe down furniture. Clean & polish handrails, metal trim and drinking fountains. Dust & wash walls. Detail corners, edges, and baseboards. Dust & clean vents. Clean all light covers. Ensure that all lights are off and doors secured after completing cleaning duties. Report problem & damage.
Responsible to lead by example, teach and mentor teams of custodians in cleaning classrooms & offices: Extract and detail carpets and upholstery. Polish doorknobs, frames, & kick plates. Wipe down tables, desks, & chairs. Vacuum carpets & upholstery. Clean whiteboards and trays. Dust & clean vents. Wash windows & frames. Empty out trash & clean trashcan. Dust and wash walls, corners, edges & baseboards. Clean all light covers. Report any problems & damage.
Responsible to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians in cleaning restrooms & locker rooms: Utilize advanced restroom restoration machines. Disinfect urinals, toilets, partitions, showers, sinks & countertops, lockers, & benches. Mop floors & clean and flush drains. Clean mirrors & frames. Vacuum floors. Dust & clean vents. Dust and wash walls, corners, edges, & baseboards. Clean all light covers. Replenish restroom supplies. Take-out trash & clean trashcan. Report any problem & damage.
Responsible to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians to properly use, request, stock supplies in custodial closets in an organized and clean manner. Clean & maintain custodial equipment. Request needed custodial supplies and restock supply closet.
Responsible to lead, teach, and mentor teams of custodians to respond to emergency calls and clean up after floods and spills by utilizing flood clean-up equipment. Assist in setting up furniture and equipment for special events as scheduled by the college. Responsible for snow removal and application of ice melt during the winter season.
Other duties as assigned.
• Two years post-high-school education or training.
• Five (5) plus years of related experience.
• Forklift license
• Carpet & Rug Institute certification
• ISSA Train the trainer certification
• Resilient floor care certification.
• High School Diploma or GED Equivalent
• Three (3) to five (5) years related, full-time, paid work experience.
• Part-time direct work experience may be substituted for full-time work experience on a pro-rated basis.
• Demonstrated experience with leading teams by example.
• Valid Utah Driver’s license
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Ability to read, write, and communicate in English
• Ability to traverse across campuses and throughout buildings.
• Ability to position oneself accurately to clean and maintain facilities on SLCC campus such as navigating small spaces, ascending and descending ladders or pushing or utilizing all custodial equipment.
• Ability to receive and relay supervisors’ written and verbal instructions to teams of custodians to complete department projects and requests.
• Ability to pay attention to details and follow through with instructions given by students, staff and faculty.
• Demonstrate effective teamwork with students, staff and faculty.
• Ability to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians in team-cleaning concepts, understand, and follow job cards completely and efficiently.
• Advance computer skills such as, time keeping, and work order entry (sprocket system), utilize excel to compile information, and write reports. Ability to use: Outlook, Microsoft word, and read and respond quickly to emails, phone calls and texts.
• Knowledge of SDS (Safety Data Sheets) books, cleaning products and their proper methods of use.
• Ability to operate and maintain all custodial cleaning machines in addition to other department machines such as snow blowers, drive custodial trucks, drive ATVs, plow snow, pull trailers, drive box trucks, and report any issues.
• Time management skills: stay on task; take breaks and lunch on time, and self-starter who lead teams with no supervision.
• Knowledge of OSHA regulations pertaining to facilities custodial department.
• Ability to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians to extract detail carpets & upholstery.
• Ability to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians to strip and resurface hard floors, restore restrooms, clean carpets, utilize carpet trailer, clean-up floods, and event coverage.
• Ability to lead by example, teach, and mentor teams of custodians in the implementation of new custodial concepts, and processes as the custodial trade changes.
• Ability to lead by example and guides teams of custodians to respond to emergency calls: such as floods, event coverage, utility set-ups, etc.
• Good attitude and easily directed
• Ability to complete projects with no supervision.
• Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
• Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
• Full consideration will be given to applicants who apply on or before the priority review date indicated above.
• More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: http://i.slcc.edu/hr/docs/benefits/benefits-summary-current.pdf
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.