Independence Community College
Independence Community College is seeking applications for Maintenance Technician. Independence Community College, a small, rural, residential community college in southeast Kansas, serves approximately 3000 full- and part-time students each year and has initiated continuous quality improvement through the AQIP accreditation process.
The college is seeking a team-oriented professional who, as a part of the Physical Plant Team, will perform a wide variety of building, grounds, custodial, and maintenance activities for the college physical plant. The position will include supervision and direct responsibility for projects of physical plant team employees, providing specific building maintenance as assigned, assisting with basic building interior and exterior improvement activities, assisting with building/campus activity set up, identifying specific building custodial/maintenance needs, processing work orders, establishing usage schedule, completing work list priorities, and initiating preventive maintenance. The Director of Maintenance may assign other duties for the successful operation of the campus.
Qualifications for this position will include experience related to the scope of work. The ideal candidate will possess excellent maintenance skills and dedication to the success of the department and be able to interact with staff and the public in a professional manner. Valid driver’s license and ability to drive is required. Maintenance person must espouse a collaborative work ethic and a philosophy of higher education that is compatible with the mission of a comprehensive community college.
The Maintenance Technician is a full-time, 12-month position. Hourly wage range is commensurate with knowledge and experience. The successful candidate will be asked to complete a physical after an offer of employment has been made. Continuation of employment is contingent upon employee passing the examination.
Position will remain open until filled. Send cover letter, resume, and completed ICC application form. (Application form can be downloaded from the opening employment webpage and is also available at the Human Resource Office). Send materials to: Stacey Wright
Human Resource Office
Independence Community College
1057 West College Ave.
Independence, KS 67301
Independence Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ICC encourages diversity among its employees.
The Maintenance Technician will perform building, grounds and service activities with the college’s Physical Plant Team. Specific responsibilities and maintenance duties assigned will be dependent on demonstrated knowledge and expertise. The Maintenance Technician reports to the Director of Maintenance.
- Provide specific building maintenance as assigned.
- Assist with basic building interior and exterior improvement activities.
- Assist with building/campus activity set up for special events and day to day operations.
- Provide services for the campus buildings as assigned.
- Identify specific building maintenance needs, process work orders, and establish usage schedule, complete work list priorities, and initiate preventive maintenance.
- Other responsibilities necessary to the successful operation of the campus.
- Develop and implement short-and long-term maintenance schedules.
- Train and mentor part-time and student staff as necessary.
- Work collaboratively with all faculty, staff, and external agencies such as contractors and repair services.
- Assume a supervisory role to collaborate departmental goals
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Maintenance and Custodial Operations.
- Timely completion of reports and communications.
- Collaborative, professional and responsible work behavior.
- High degree of ethical standards.
- Commitment to high professional standards.
- Consistently strive to maintain a safe and operational facility.
- Responsiveness to leadership.
- Adherence to institutional policies and procedures.
- Serve as an effective ambassador for the college at all times.
- Effectively communicates to projects to be completed by the maintenance team.
- Demonstrated hands-on familiarity with maintenance functions and equipment; Self-starting, energetic work ethic and self-starting attitude.
- Demonstrated understanding quality of campus work environment; Ability to work with and without supervision.
- Five or more years of maintenance experience
- Demonstrated ability to supervise team members
- Time management, computer and organizational skills.
- Experience and/or education related to the scope of work and essential job functions.
- Strong knowledge of electrical, HVAC, plumbing, carpentry and mechanical is preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate with students, staff, and community.
- Ability to work well with others and accept supervision.
- Ability to provide excellent customer service.
- High level of energy to fulfill a variety of tasks.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and climb ladder.
- Ability to drive and possession of a valid driver’s license.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $12.00 - $14.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Maintenance: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)