Department: Administrative Services Job Status: Full Time (Nine Month Contract)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt Reports To: Dining Services Director
Grade/Level: Amount of Travel Required: Minimal Travel Required
Work Schedule: Positions Supervised: Dining Services Aides
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Dining Services Assistant is responsible for assisting the Dining Services Director in all aspects of
the food service operations to promote customer satisfaction and to maximize profitability. Duties of
this position include: ensuring food is professionally prepared and served, serving the primary cook for
dinner service and assisting line cook when needed, providing exceptional customer service, and
coordinating certain catering services. This individual will also assist with meal prep for lunch and
dinner service. The typical hours are Monday-Friday 12:00am-8:00pm.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Assist Director in all aspects of the food service operations to promote customer satisfaction
and to maximize profitability.
- Serve as primary cook during dinner hours and assist with operating the grill and fryers.
- Assist Director with managing department’s financial affairs effectively, ethically, and
innovatively within the constraints of approved budget.
- Monitor Dining Service activities to ensure that the food produced is professionally served.
- Collaborate with Miles Community College staff to provide accommodations for meetings and
special events including athletic concessions in the café’ and other catered events.
- Assist the Director in training, supervising, monitoring, and evaluating Dining Service Aides and
- Promote effective communication between Dining Service staff, customers, students, and staff.
- Inspect Dining Service equipment to ensure safe and proper operation.
- Responsible for basic food preparation and cooking.
- Provide excellent customer service.
- Responsible for clean up and sterilization of facility.
- Monitor operations to ensure proper portions are served.
- Monitor and maintain inventory to ensure proper placement, quantity, quality, and freshness of
- Responsible for opening daily till in absence of Director.
- Responsible for opening and closing facility in absence of Director.
- Coordinate catering services by working collaboratively with Community Outreach Coordinator.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands;
Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change,
delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Business Acumen - Understands basic business practices.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens
and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and
grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read
and interpret written information.
Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving
measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to
customer needs; Meets commitments.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Sets
expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility
for own actions; Keeps commitments.
- Initiative - Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action.
Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment;
Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making
process; Makes timely decisions.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process
improvement; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops
subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, products and services.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks
correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Organizes or
schedules other people and their tasks.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes
information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats
others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts
responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase
productivity; Works effectively.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Adapts strategy to
- Inclusion – Provides an environment that is inclusive of all students and supports
SKILLS & ABILITIES
High School Graduate or General Education Degree (GED)
One to three years of food service work.
Basic computer knowledge
Basic knowledge of the applicable professional and governmental standards and regulations on
institutional food service. Strong communication and interpersonal skills that will ensure good public
relations with customers, students, and the community are highly esteemed. Effective leadership and
organizational skills are highly preferred. Must be able to work independently and collaboratively to
meet food service and campus wide objectives. ServSafe Certified
Must be able to stand for long periods of time. Occasional lifting of objects up to 50 pounds.