Associate Vice President of Facilities and Services
SDSU-Facilities & Services-Admin
Physical Location of Position (City)
South Dakota State University seeks a unique and talented individual who will serve as a forward-looking and transformational leader who embraces a culture where facilities and services are aligned to support the University’s land-grant mission in the spirit of our core values.
The Associate Vice President for Facilities and Services will serve as the principal administrator in planning, directing, and managing the comprehensive facilities and related services for South Dakota State University. They will be the chief administrator of the Division of Facilities and Services, which includes Facilities Maintenance, Business Operations, Landscape and Grounds Services, Custodial Services, Campus Planning, Engineering, Energy Systems, and Customer Service, and will be responsible for management of the University’s buildings, facilities, and grounds.
An experienced and talented Associate Vice President will act as a key leader, teammate, and collaborative partner, working with other academic and administration leaders to further institutional goals and outcomes.
The Associate Vice President is a key member of the University’s President’s Council and reports directly to the President.
SDSU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to the experiences of underrepresented minorities in organizations. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
Must be authorized to work in the U.S. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Provide leadership and oversight for all of the University’s facilities management services;
- Strategically align, oversee, and manage budgets;
- Provide vision and strategic leadership for SDSU’s facilities and services division to assist in advancing SDSU’s teaching, research, and service missions;
- Proactively advise senior leadership on issues, planning, systems, and related activities;
- Collaboratively work with campus partners on relevant governance, strategic planning, and facilities management to strive for continuous improvement;
- Develop and prioritize university-wide investments in campus improvements with other university stakeholders;
- Develop a culture of high-quality, service-oriented services and solutions that benefit students, faculty, and staff;
- Manage and provide leadership to a diverse workforce; and
- Develop strong, collaborative relationships with SDSU’s faculty, staff, students, and administration.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited educational institution in Facilities Operations, Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture, Business, or closely related field by date of application date;
- At least eight years of progressively responsible experience in the field of facilities maintenance and operations, facilities management, or construction;
- Effective project management, financial analysis, and strategic planning skills;
- Understands industry best practices and utilizes this knowledge to benchmark and drive performance metrics that are correlated with success while holding a leadership team strictly accountable for results;
- A track record of implementing appropriate and successful strategies to ensure cost-effective implementation of facilities management and related services;
- Strong financial planning to lead in a resource-constrained environment;
- Team builder and leadership developer with proven ability to attract, develop, motivate, retain, and lead a high-performing team of professionals;
- Valid driver’s license or ability to obtain within 30 days of hire; and
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or related discipline;
- Previous experience in a facilities management leadership position in higher education or a large complex organization; and
- Experience leading major strategic initiatives.
Preferred Additional Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively across all levels of the organization;
- Proven ability to drive results across the facilities and services division;
- Proven ability to ensure the right people and processes are in place to produce and maintain excellent results;
- Track record of achieving high performance by setting challenging goals and making decisions based on sound judgment and business fundamentals;
- Adapts leadership skills to meet the changing demands of a situation;
- Creates an environment of open communication;
- Leads change effectively to align with university strategies;
- Develops trusted relationships with senior leaders;
- Demonstrates poise and self-control, establishes credibility, deals diplomatically with conflict, and instills a sense of trust and confidence in others;
- Commits to excellence and high quality; and
- Serves as a role model of personal and professional integrity.
Benefits: South Dakota State University offers a wide range of benefits, including medical, dental, and flexible benefits, retirement plans, compensation packages, paid holidays, and vacation leave. Employees also have access to internal and state-sponsored training as well as reduced tuition for state-supported courses at all State of South Dakota academic institutions.
This system will guide you through the electronic application form. This employment site will also require the attachment of a cover letter, which should specifically address how the candidate meets the qualifications as outlined in the advertisement, resume, and a reference page with the contact information for three professional references. Email applications will not be accepted. Please contact SDSU Human Resources at (605) 688-4128 if you require assistance with this process.
Any offer of employment is contingent on the university’s verification of credentials and other information required by law and/or university policies, including but not limited to, successful completion of a criminal background check.
South Dakota State University is a tobacco-free environment.
It is the policy of the University to maintain a drug-free environment and to thereby establish, promote, and maintain a safe and healthy working and learning environment for employees and students. This position is subject to South Dakota State University’s Drug and Alcohol Testing Policy 4:14.
First Consideration Date
Commensurate with education, experience, and internal equity.
Duration of the Term
If Other, describe duration
Typical Hours Worked Per Week
Scope of Search
External (includes Internal)
If internal, define scope of search
This position requires
Travel, Valid Drivers License
If other, please indicate
Department Description and Cultural Expectations
University and the Brookings Community:
South Dakota State University is the state’s largest, most comprehensive university with more than 200 programs and an enrollment of approximately 11,500 students.
SDSU offers a rich academic experience in an environment of inclusion and access through inspired, student-centered education, creative activities and research, innovation, and engagement that improve the quality of life in South Dakota, the region, the nation, and the world. Its employees embrace the university’s core values of being people-centered, expanding knowledge through creativity, embracing organizational and personal integrity, commitment to diversity, and excellence through continuous improvement.
As the state’s 1862 Morrill Act land-grant institution, the work of the university is carried out on its main resident campus in Brookings, at sites in Sioux Falls, Pierre, Rapid City, and Aberdeen, and through Extension offices and Agricultural Experiment Station research sites across South Dakota.
SDSU was recognized as one of 54 institutions in the United States as an Innovation and Economic Prosperity University by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities in 2014. The university’s total research expenditures are greater than $60 million. SDSU is the state’s first High Research Activity institution as classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Jackrabbits Athletics competes as an NCAA Division I member with membership in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit League, and the Big XII for wrestling.
Brookings is home to approximately 24,000 residents and is located 60 miles north of Sioux Falls and 200 miles west of Minneapolis. Livability.com rates Brookings as an ideal community for families, students, young professionals, and retirees. It considers Brookings among the safest and most vibrant cities in South Dakota.
The Brookings Public School District educates approximately 3,300 K-12 students and ranks among the state’s highest academic achieving school districts. The district includes three elementary schools, an intermediate school for fourth and fifth grade, one middle school, and a high school.
The city also boasts an abundance of attractions and activities, including the Children’s Museum of South Dakota, Dakota Nature Park, South Dakota Art Museum, McCrory Gardens, South Dakota Agricultural Heritage Museum, Outdoor Adventure Center, and the Brookings Summer Arts Festival.
Affirmative Action Statement
South Dakota State University is committed to affirmative action, equal opportunity and the diversity of its faculty, staff, and students. Women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by emailing HR@sdstate.edu. SDSU prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, gender, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran’s status, or any other protected class in the offering of all educational programs and employment opportunities. Individuals with concerns regarding discrimination should contact: Equal Opportunity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Human Resources, Morrill Hall 100, SDSU, Brookings, SD 57007. Phone: (605) 688-4128.
We are committed to diversity of community and ideas. We believe in a supportive, diverse, collaborative, and cohesive environment with a focus on access. We actively seek collaboration with individuals with differing perspectives, backgrounds, and areas of expertise.
For questions on the position, contact Dr. Michael Holbeck at (605) 688-4455 or at Michael.firstname.lastname@example.org.