The dean of Mathey College works closely in every regard with the faculty college head, who has overall responsibility for the mission of the college and the effective functioning of the college staff and program. Reporting to the faculty head, the dean is largely responsible for the day-to-day management of the college office and oversight of the budget, which is maintained by the college program administrator. The dean and the college’s faculty head work closely together to promote a strong sense of community, to encourage faculty-student interaction, and to enhance the social and intellectual climate of the college. The residential college dean supervises the professional advising team within the college, working closely with the director of studies and the director of student life to support the progress to degree and well-being of approximately 900 undergraduates. The dean of Mathey College reports to the faculty head of Mathey College and to the senior associate dean responsible for academic advising and standing in the Office of the Dean of the College.
- Reporting to the faculty college head, the dean is responsible for the day-to-day management of the college office, including supervision of professional and support staff, as well as oversight of the program budget.
- Works closely with the faculty college head to create a college program that promotes a strong sense of community, encourages faculty-student interaction, and enhances the social and intellectual climate of the college.
- Supervises the professional advising team within the college, working with the director of studies and the director of student life to support the progress to degree and well-being of approximately 900 undergraduates.
- Oversees academic advising and the implementation of academic policy for the first-year students and sophomores resident in the college, and for the juniors and seniors who are affiliated with the college, working closely with the director of studies. Juniors and seniors are primarily the advising responsibility of the dean.
- Works closely with the residential college director of studies and the associate dean for academic advising to recruit and train the fourteen to seventeen faculty members who serve as academic advisers in Mathey College.
- In collaboration with department faculty and the director of studies, the dean advises individual students on all aspects of their academic programs and progress to degree.
- Works closely with the director of student life, the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students, and a variety of university offices to coordinate support for students experiencing personal or health crises.
- Serves on the committee for leaves and reinstatements chaired by the senior associate dean of the college, and acts in an advisory capacity to the Faculty Committee on Examinations and Standing. The dean is responsible for the administration of leaves and reinstatements for all students affiliated with Mathey College, including the preparation of all official correspondence.
- Responsible for compliance issues that may arise in working with the university’s Title IX coordinator and Office of Disability Services as they apply to students’ academic program.
- Collaborates with colleagues from other residential colleges and other campus partners on a wide variety of educational programs and initiatives.
- Undertakes special projects for the Office of the Dean of the College. Examples include special committee work, administration of fellowship programs, review of academic requirements and regulations, participation in campus life initiatives, or research projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent managerial and analytical skills; ability to work to deadline
- Excellent judgment, discretion and attention to detail
- Demonstrated sensitivity to the needs and concerns of a diverse student population
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a cross-college and cross-campus team
- At least 5 years’ teaching and academic advising experience at the college level
- At least 5 years’ experience in academic administration
- Ph.D. or appropriate terminal degree
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as necessary
- Familiarity with Princeton’s academic culture, curriculum, and policies
- Prior management experience
- Prior experience as an adviser within Princeton’s residential college system
For full consideration please apply no later than Wednesday, June 9. Position remains open until filled.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW.
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Valid Driver’s License Required