The Arc of Essex County is the premier service provider for children and adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities in Northern New Jersey. The Arc of Essex County Stepping Stones School is a Department of Education approved private school for student with disabilities, serving children ages 3-10. Located in Roseland, NJ the school is designed to meet the developmental and educational needs of children with cognitive impairments such as Down Syndrome and other students with similar educational and developmental needs. Stepping Stones has a career opportunity for a Substitute Special Education Teacher.
The Substitute Special Education Teacher will provide classroom children with instructional activities which allow for the development of fine and gross motor skills, socialization and self-help skills, speech and language skill, perceptual skills, and increased attention span.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
* Teaches the children directly in the classroom according to established curriculum.
* Instructs students in the areas of self-help skills. * Maintains the physical care and well-being of the students.
* Ensures that the instructional procedures conform to established programs proven successful in working with young children and will follow early child development principles.
* Directs the implementation of a therapeutic educational program as established for each child in the I.E.P.
* Maintains records and files for each child.
* Submits weekly lesson plans and schedules based on established program curriculum.
* Communicates with parents as needed.
* Protects students from injury, accident, harm or unnecessary discomfort or illness.
* Reports and records all unusual events involving a student's safety.
* Coordinates and assigns duties to classroom staff for receiving and placing students on transportation.
* Attends workshops and training as assigned in addition to regularly scheduled school hours.
* Periodically works irregular hours, as assigned.
* BA/BS degree in Special Education and Elementary Education or related field with New Jersey Certification as Teacher of Students with Disabilities is required.
* Some experience working with children with developmental disabilities and/or special needs require Re
Education Level: Ba