A Postdoctoral Research Associate position is available immediately in the Division of Biological Sciences. This is viewed as preparatory for a full-time academic and/or research career. The successful candidate will collaborate with PI Jeffrey Good, PI Zachary Cheviron in the design and execution of evolutionary genomics research focused on adaptation, speciation, and molecular evolution. Current projects in our groups focus on comparative and population-level questions in several mammalian systems, with emphases on reproductive genomics and environmental adaptation. Candidates for this position would also have opportunities to collaborate with the UNVEIL research network (unveilnetwork.org) and the UM Genomics Core (UMGC) and contribute to phylogenomic analysis of local SARS-CoV2 genome evolution.
The overall research responsibilities of the position will include conducting evolutionary studies using genome sequencing data produced from high-throughput methods, the development, implementation and refinement of bioinformatic analytical pipelines, and statistical and computational analysis of genomic data. The appointment involves full-time research and the appointee has the freedom, and is expected, to publish the results of his or her research or scholarship during the period of the appointment.
The appointee is expected to be both highly independent and collaborative, and will have significant leeway in analysis of existing datasets and the scope and design of new projects. A key requirement is that the individual have the ability to see intellectually and technically complex projects through to their conclusion, which will involve developing methodological approaches and reviewing, analyzing, and interpreting scientific data and results from the project. Great autonomy and ability to exhibit independent decision making is expected in designing and implementing strategies for achieving shared research goals.Position Details
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- The position is a full-time,1.0 FTE Letter of Appointment and includes a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package (i.e., MUS health insurance benefits, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program).
- Salary for this position is $47,500 - $50,000 commensurate with experience and qualification.
- PhD (or equivalent terminal degree, such as Sc.D., M.D., etc.) in a biology or related discipline
- Demonstrated experience of excellent research capabilities required to carry out innovative and insightful research
- Ability to devise and articulate a research plan with defined goals, and design sound experimental strategies with appropriate controls
- Proven record and ability to produce research to a high publication standard
- Ability to learn and apply new skills appropriate to conduct necessary research
- Proven ability to communicate complex ideas and concepts (both orally and in writing) to scientific and non-scientific audiences
- Ability and willingness to undertake collaborative research
- Ability to supervise and mentor undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to maintain a safe working and learning environment
- Ability to achieve project goals within time and budget
- Strong theoretical background in in evolution, population genetics, molecular biology, and phylogenetics
- Some expertise in computational and statistical analysis of genetic data.
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge in some or all of the following techniques: the analysis of large-scale genomic data sets (whole genome sequencing, transcriptomes, epigenomes), phylogenetic analysis, proficiency in computer programming using PERL, PYTHON, R, or similar
About the Division of Biological Sciences, UM , and Missoula
- Working expertise in evolutionary genetics, genomics, and bioinformatics and the ability to use this knowledge to analyze large genetic datasets will be expected
- Ability to design and implement genetic experiments in population genomics and transcriptomics to address questions in evolutionary biology
- Good supervisory skills
- Ability to manage several projects of a highly complex nature simultaneously
- Ability to actively participate in professional development
- Willingness to assist with the daily administration of the laboratory (lab safety, orderliness, supplies)
- Willingness to assist with grant reporting
The Division of Biological Sciences delivers high‐quality academic programs in the biological sciences. The Division educates students at all levels from the baccalaureate to the doctoral, so that they develop the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to succeed as professional biologists and as citizens in a rapidly changing world. We foster strong research programs that create new knowledge, understanding, and approaches in biology. These programs enhance the learning environment for students by involving them directly in mentored research and provide solutions that benefit the university, state, region, nation, and the world.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with approximately 12,000 undergraduate and graduate students and 500+ full-time faculty members. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 70,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America ” in 2014. Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere.
UM is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who would assist the University in demonstrating its five priorities for action : Place student success at the center of all we do; drive excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and research; embody the principle of “mission first, people always"; partner with place; and proudly tell the UM story.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).How to Apply
Priority Application Date: June 21, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Applications received by 11/25/2019 will be guaranteed consideration. Application review will begin after date above and continue until the position is filled.
Please submit the following application materials via "New Resume/CV" button below.
*Please note: only five (5) attachments are allowed per application. Please combine documents accordingly.
- Letter of Interest addressing the stated required skills for the position
- Detailed resume listing education and describing work experience
- Names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Need additional help? Check out our UM Jobs FAQ website.
Missoula, Montana, United States