Fontbonne University, a small, Catholic liberal arts university located in St. Louis, Missouri, is committed to the common good through the daily pursuit of transformative education, inspiring students to become global citizens who think critically, act ethically and serve responsibly.
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, Fontbonne University is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. Candidates from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers our diversity and inclusion efforts and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
About the Position
Fontbonne is seeking an experienced leader to become the next Vice President for Student Affairs beginning August 1, 2021. A member of the President’s Executive Leadership Team, the Vice President is a senior level professional who represents the Student Affairs division and works collaboratively with other division Vice Presidents on institutional matters.
Essential areas of responsibility include administrative oversight of the Student Affairs division: Campus Ministry, Career Development, Counseling and Wellness, Health Services, Orientation & Student Engagement, Residential Life, the Office of Multicultural Affairs and Public Safety. Position also collaborates closely with the Vice President for Athletics as part of the student life experience. The Vice President will:
- Lead the Student Affairs division in facilitating a positive student life experience for all students;
- Develop, implement and evaluate innovative strategies for student programming in collaboration with campus partners;
- Collaborate with the Chief Financial Officer, in particular, and other executive officers in preparing a budget for Student Affairs;
- Provide direction and expertise for the essential areas of student life, including oversight of Public Safety and Student Conduct;
- Plan and execute commencement, utilizing professionals from within the division of Student Affairs and in collaboration with academic affairs.
The Successful Candidate
Candidates must demonstrate a clear understanding of and experience in student development/learning theory and practice and be well versed in current issues and trends in student affairs.
Candidates should also demonstrate these qualities:
- An innovative thinker who can critically assess the University’s current position and offer a compelling vision for the future;
- A charismatic communicator with excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to relate effectively with multiple constituencies;
- A record of progressively responsible management and leadership experience, combined with a strong team orientation and the proven ability to enlist and delegate to high-performing personnel;
- Familiarity with ADA, FERPA, NCAA, the Clery Act and other regulations and legal issues related to higher education;
- Knowledge of regulatory, professional, and ethical guidelines in student affairs management to ensure compliance with University policies, state and federal rules and regulations;
- A commitment to a diverse, equitable and inclusive educational environment.
Master’s degree required in higher education administration or a related field; a minimum of seven years of increasing responsibility in student affairs is preferred. Applicants are requested to include in their cover letter information about how they will contribute to our goal to build a culturally diverse student life experience.
How to Apply
Please apply via our website at www.Fontbonne.edu/employment. Interested individuals should submit a cover letter, a resume that includes notable achievements, and contact information including mailing and email addresses and telephone numbers for five references who are able to speak to the candidate’s qualifications as they relate to this position.
About Fontbonne and St. Louis
If you are looking for rewarding work, Fontbonne is the place for you. With small classes and a beautiful campus, the atmosphere is one more amenable to developing collaborative relationships with your students and coworkers. For more information, please explore our website at www.Fontbonne.edu.
Fontbonne University is located in Clayton, Missouri, a beautiful suburb in the heart of the St. Louis metropolitan area, just a mile from historic Forest Park, site of the 1904 World’s Fair and minutes from wonderful attractions such as the Delmar Loop entertainment district, the Gateway Arch, Grand Center Arts District, the Saint Louis Zoo and Busch Stadium. St. Louis is home to a number of Fortune 500 companies and offers a wide array of cultural, entertainment and social attractions. Boasting one of the highest standards of living among American cities of one million or more, as well as below-average housing costs, living options are plentiful, ranging from downtown apartments and older homes in vibrant urban neighborhoods, to cozy close-in suburbs and outlying areas with more elbow room.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.