Job TitlePsychology Instructor, Full time - Tenure Track Position
LocationYuba College - Marysville, CA.
Yuba College (YC) is seeking an equity-minded, dynamic, collaborative, and innovative Instructor to serve as Psychology Faculty.
Under the direction of the Dean of STEMS, the selected candidate will be required to teach Introductory Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, as well as a variety of other college-level courses that fulfill either general education requirements or an Associates of Arts degree in Psychology.
Essential Duties Summary
The assignment includes holding daily office hours, evaluating and developing curricula, as well as participating in various professional activities, college committees, and in the shared governance of the college and the District.
The Psychology Department encourages applications from people of diverse experiences, cultural backgrounds, abilities, and gender identity. We aim to provide students with an introduction to both academic and other applied fields of psychology. We provide a quality education for those students wishing to (a) transfer to four-year colleges and universities; (b) complete local associate degrees or certificates; or © take Yuba College psychology classes so as to fulfill general education credit or to better themselves, their families, and the world.
Yuba College values diversity that supports equal access for all students and multi-ethnic global perspectives and cultural competencies. Yuba College is seeking equity minded faculty who are committed to educating its diverse student population.
Yuba College has one main campus in Marysville as well as a satellite location in Yuba City. Because the Psychology Department is committed to offering classes when and where students need them, this assignment (like the other full-time Psychology positions) would be split between the Marysville campus and the satellite location in Yuba City. Assignments may include any combination of day or evening classes with weekly office hours being mandatory.
Instructors assume responsibility for teaching a 15-unit load, maintaining currency in the field, for updating existing courses and developing new curricula, developing and assessing student learning outcomes, participating in department activities, and performing other college service such as committee work and appropriate professional development activities.
The successful candidate, by the final filing date, must possess the minimum qualifications for instructors in Psychology as governed by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office:
(A) Master’s in psychology OR
(B) Bachelor’s in psychology AND Master’s in counseling, sociology, statistics, neuroscience, or social work OR
© The equivalent OR
(D) Possess a California Community College life credential in the subject matter area of Psychology.
• Previous college-level teaching
• Specialization in Abnormal psychology
• Demonstrated ability to teach large classes
• Knowledge of and experience with current computer software as it relates to higher education and psychology.
• Initiative and ability to develop courses
• Demonstrated ability to effectively mentor students
• Ability to ensure consistent and appropriate monitoring of student progress.
• Demonstrate sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
• Knowledge, ability, and enthusiasm to teach any of the following lower-division courses: General Psychology, Lifespan Development, Abnormal Psychology, Social Psychology, and Social and Personal Adjustment.
• Ability to use various teaching methods that engage students in their own learning.
Range/StepClass 2, Step 1 to Class 7, Step 10
Salary Range$56,772 - $91,118 per year
BENEFITS/SALARY: The District offers a comprehensive benefits package for employees and dependent, valued at over $20,583 annually with a $310.50 monthly out of pocket expense to employees or dependents for monthly premiums. The package includes health, dental, vision, two (2) life insurance policies and an Employee Assistance program.
Additional benefits include contributions to the State Teacher’s Retirement System (STRS), 457/403b options, 10 sick days and a 178 day contract.
INITIAL PLACEMENT WILL NOT BE HIGHER THAN CLASS 7, STEP 10, ACCORDING TO THE ACADEMIC HANDBOOK.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE: To apply, please visit: https://yccd.peopleadmin.com and complete an academic application (please provide description and details for each position held. See resume or left blank will automatically disqualify your application).
The following documents are required: Resume, All Transcripts, Equal Employment Opportunity Statement (attached in a Word document), a Cover letter/letter of interest and 3 Letters of Recommendation.
PLEASE NOTE: AS SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIALS, AN APPLICATION MAY, BUT NEED NOT, INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING: (a) one current evaluation from a peer or supervisor, (b) one abstract of a publication, and/or portfolio. NO OTHER SUPPLEMENTAL MATERIAL SHOULD BE INCLUDED.
EQUIVALENCY: Applicants must meet YCCD minimum qualifications by the filing date or have been awarded equivalency by the District prior to the publication of the Recruitment Announcement.
FOREIGN TRANSCRIPTS: Include a U.S. evaluation and translation. Contact the Human Resources website for a list of agencies providing foreign transcript services.
PRE-EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS: Employment is dependent upon Department of Justice (DOJ) clearance; all fees are the responsibility of the selected candidates and serves the purpose of obtaining a criminal history as authorized by the California Education Code. All prospective employees shall be required to provide verification of TB test.
WORKING CONDITIONS: In accordance to Board Policy, smoking is prohibited in the facilities and on the grounds of Yuba Community College District.
WORK DAY, WORK WEEK, and WORK YEAR: The District has the right to establish work day, work week, work year; hours of positions within the District may vary.
INTERVIEW: A candidate selected for an interview will be required to visit Yuba Community College District at his/her own expense upon a date selected by the District. Meeting minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview.
It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to ensure all application materials are received by the application deadline date. All submitted materials become District property, will not be returned, will not be copied and will be considered for this recruitment only. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered.
IF YOU REQUIRE ACCOMMODATION TO APPLY FOR THIS POSITION, please contact the Human Resources Office at (530) 741-8765.
TIMELINE: Interviews are scheduled for July 2021. Before a candidate is employed with the District, the candidate will be confirmed by the Governing Board; the proposed confirmation date is August 2021.
•This position is anticipated to be assigned to Yuba College of the Yuba Community College District but may be assigned temporarily or permanently within the District.
1. In the interview, consideration will be given by the Selection Committee to factors other than education and experience, including, but not limited to, apparent personal development, ability to work with others, initiative, and sensitivity.
2. Candidates should not expect official notification of the status of their candidacy until the administration has acted upon the Selection Committee’s recommendation for employment.
3. The District reserves the right to investigate past employment records, including contacting former employers.
4. The District reserves the right to re-advertise the position or to delay indefinitely the employment of a person for a position if it is deemed that applicants for the position do not constitute an adequate Qualified Applicant Pool.
5. As required by the Equal Employment Opportunity Policy of the Yuba Community College District, the Personnel Services and Human Resources Development Office is required to maintain an Equal Employment file, which will yield the composition of application flow by ethnic identification, gender and disability. This information will not be used as part of our recruiting process.
6. IMPORTANT: Any misstatements or omissions of material facts in this application or an interview may be cause for dismissal, if employed.
External applicants are welcome to apply during the in-house recruitment process. However, external applications will not be considered until the in-house recruitment period has ended.
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, the Yuba Community College District is committed to creating an inclusive and effective learning and working environment for all.
Internal vs. ExternalExternal
Review Start Date06/28/2021
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
A complete application includes the following: Academic Application, Resume, Transcripts, EEO Statement, up to (3) current letters of recommendation and a Cover Letter/Letter of Interest.
To apply for an Equivalency, please download a Equivalency Determination Application, Equivalency Statement, and Procedure from YCCD’s website: www.yccd.edu/forms