Suffolk County Community College (SCCC) is seeking an experienced Human Resources professional to join our team as a Temporary 12-month Full-Time Leave Specialist.
The Leave Management Specialist serves as the coordinator for Family Medical Leave (FMLA, state specific LOA, personal LOA and collaborate with Workers Compensation administrator as needed.
Serve as the primary point of contact for employees and manage leave inquiries, advising employees and managers on the leave process and related policies.
- Coordinate and process the intake of leave requests, sending required notices, forms and letters.
- Communicates with employees and supervisors on appropriate leave types and determines leave qualification and eligibility accordingly.
- Provides manager and employee with assistance throughout the leave lifecycle. Manages case file for each assigned leave of absence in accordance with state, federal, and company policy.
- Follows through on each case and monitors leave duration to ensure receipt of relevant documentation, issues timely and accurate responses, and escalates when appropriate for requests extending beyond entitlement.
- Track leave time and pay in collaboration with HR personnel to ensure accurate entry into Banner and Payroll.
- Communicate with employees, managers and human resources professionals to coordinate the return to work process, including accommodation requests and leave expirations.
- Responsible for maintaining current knowledge of federal, state and local leave laws and regulations.
Acts a first point of contact for incoming calls to the Leave Management team and be able to assess the needs of the employee; understanding explicit and implied needs, as well as emergency situations. Serves as the Subject Matter Expert to explain and consult on leave/accommodation policies and procedures and inform employees of any impacts to pay and/or benefits. Ask targeted questions to gather relevant information, identify appropriate leave type for the situation and open new cases
Demonstrate listening skills and empathy with each unique situation. Review paperwork and educate employees on what is needed to support their leave of absence Utilize resources to find answers and provide accurate, up to date information Provide high level of service while balancing need for efficiency. Works in collaboration with HR leadership and with Legal as needed.
Develop, generate and present reports on a regular basis to analyze LOA and accommodation data to identify upcoming leaves and returns to work. Ensure the completion of employees' paperwork in compliance with state labor laws. Maintain employee leave files and records Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required in Human Resources or related field. A Master’s degree is preferred.
A minimum of 3 years of experience working in FMLA administration, leave and disability benefit programs, short term disability, long term disability. Knowledge of federal and state employment laws and leave programs as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act required.
Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact at all levels of the organization with diplomacy and professionalism including written and verbal communication skills. The ability to work independently with minimal direction. Experience working with a HRIS. Proficient in the Microsoft Office Suite. Previous experience in Employee Relations working with collective bargaining agreements is a plus.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment while handling multiple tasks.
- Ability to gather and analyze data and generate reports.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, time management skills, research and organizational skills.
Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to Faculty and staff in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem. This is temporary 12 month Professional Assistant within the Faculty Association.
We offer comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, vacation days, deferred compensation and a defined benefit plan.
Suffolk County Community College is an equal opportunity employer.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.