Position Title: Director Risk Management
Requisition Number: req1780
Compensation: 85,199.00 - 102,229.00
Job Grade: E9
Department: Risk Management
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
Compensation Type: Exempt (Salaried)
Campus Location: Main Campus
This is a benefits eligible position. CNM offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance as well as pension and retirement plans. CNM also offers generous educational benefits to employees, their spouse/domestic partner, and dependent children.
Additional Comments to Applicants:
CNM is looking to hire Director of Risk Management. Please upload resume, cover letter and any applicable transcripts or licenses as stated in the qualifications to application at time of applying.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
CNM’s Director Risk Management will direct the College’s Risk Office and be accountable for risk management operations, working collaboratively with executive leadership, management and staff. The Director will focus on developing, leading, guiding and monitoring the College’s risks, mitigation initiatives, occupational health and safety programs, risk management policy governance and practices. Working with consultants and insurance carriers, the Director will assess risk throughout the College and lead and direct College's the operations and activities of insurance and risk management programs. The Director will maintain relationships with state agencies, other institutions of higher education in and outside New Mexico, and risk professionals to monitor trends and opportunities to mitigate institutional risks.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops, implements, coordinates and evaluates the College's comprehensive risk management program.
- Guides the determination of whether exposures are within the College's strategic risk appetite; continually maintains awareness of leadership and board members of the College’s current risk profile and drive understanding of potential exposures.
- Directs all occupational health, safety, loss control, claims management and risk management activities for the College.
- Work independently with consultants to analyze risk and claims information, identify control deficiencies or gaps creating risk exposure, and develop recommendations regarding self-insurance fund budget, including reserve amounts, premium payments, and transfers from funds.
- Administers and monitors claims with the College’s Risk/Safety Committee, including the Director of Safety and Health, Executive Director of the Physical Plant, Faculty, Lab Managers, Security Chief, Dean of the School of Applied Technology or other schools. Participates in mediation and depositions with Counsel on litigated claims.
- Reviews contract language, recommends coverage limits and manages contractor/vendor certificates of insurance
- Identifies and monitors key risk indicators and key performance indicators (“KPIs”) to provide solid measurements which can
contribute to the development of proactive strategies.
- Advises the College's leadership team on key risks and controls, serving as a resource in overseeing the development of remediation strategies, target resources and/or testing strategies based on the level of risk assumed for the College.
- Supervises staff, which includes prioritizing and assigning work; conducting performance evaluations; ensuring staff is trained; ensuring employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and, making hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
- Provides analytical reviews and recommendations of College policies and practices to ensure the strategic support of appropriate risk tolerance.
- Serves as liaison with insurance carriers and/or underwriters regarding the claims for property, casualty, and workers' compensation insurance.
- Responds to college community’s insurance coverage questions, provide research and interpretation of insurance policies, consult with brokers as necessary, and implement policy changes to accommodate new program needs.
- Maintains ongoing positive relationships across the College to ensure effective communication and planning across internal and external entities, participate in college wide teams and committees as needed
- Acts as a liaison between the College and external agencies, including other higher education institutions, school districts, and state governmental agencies.
- Evaluates vendor and product performance as necessary; compare performance to standards, specifications and terms of contracts; take appropriate action; maintain insurance records for active vendors as appropriate.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in occupational or environmental health, business or public administration, insurance or related field and six (6) years of professional level risk management experience that includes three (3) years of management and supervisory experience.
- Ten (10) years of professional level risk management experience that includes three (3) years of management and supervisory experience.
- Experience in implementing Enterprise Risk Management (ERM) preferred, particularly at higher education institutions.
- Certification as an Associate of one or more of the following:
- Risk Management (CRM/ARM).
- Business Continuity Planning (any level) through a nationally and/or internationally recognized certification organization.
- Chartered Property and Casualty (CPCU).
- Other Safety Professional certification.
- Eight (8) years professional level experience in a risk management discipline, such as risk management, occupational/industrial safety and environmental compliance, loss control, risk and insurance, business continuity planning, disaster response management, and/or fire/life safety, of which at least three years’ experience as a risk manager with full management responsibilities in a university higher education setting. Working solely in the capacity of business continuity planning, disaster response management or fire/life safety may constitute not more than two years of the requirement.