Save Our Seabirds, Sarasota, Florida seeks a Chief Executive Officer as its organization's principal leader. SOS is a non-profit whose mission is to rescue, rehabilitate, and release, sick and injured birds. Over 5,000 calls a year are received about sick and injured birds. Birds that are unable to be released may be given permanent homes in the educational Wild Bird Learning Center, which is essentially a Living Museum, open to the public every day.
The CEO's responsibilities include: engaging, leading, and managing the organization in meeting its strategic mission; oversight and active major fundraising; developing and cultivating a community presence; operational & fiscal management; and advancing board relations.
We are proud of our highly skilled and dedicated staff, including a licensed veterinarian leading our avian hospital team.
Qualifications should include a minimum of five years of management as a non-profit executive, with community relations and business development, and five years of major direct fundraising, sales, and marketing.
- Successful fund-raising experience, especially the demonstrated ability to obtain donations and financial support from high net-worth individuals.
- In-depth knowledge of non-profit finance, governance, and general management best practices
- Ability to work with, lead and inspire a highly competent staff and dedicated volunteers.
- Demonstrated experience writing successful grant proposals.
- Experience working with social media.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Strong business ethics and a commitment to wildlife and environmental issues
- Work with Save Our Seabirds Board of Directors to create and fulfill the Board's Strategic Plan
- Establish appropriate goals for financial and operational performance, including an annual budget.
- Oversee all operations and business activities to ensure they produce the desired results and are consistent with strategy and mission.
- Increase revenue by engaging new and lapsed donors and creating new revenue streams.
- Initiate contacts and develop relationships with high net-worth individuals, leading to increased donations and financial support
- Initiate contacts/develop relationships with Charitable Foundations, leading to increased revenues.
- Manage all advertising and PR; oversee content productions and distribution of marketing materials.
- Manage media relations and help maintain a positive image of SOS in the community.
- Represent SOS at local venues, engaging business, education, and community leaders.
- Manage a high-performance team, in a positive work environment, with open communications and in compliance with employment best practices and regulations.
- Participate in related industry events and associations.
- Adhere to legal guidelines and in-house policies.
- Ensure that all licenses and permits are up to date.
- Conduct the official correspondence of the organization; execute legal documents with designated officers.
- Establish effective working relationships and cooperative agreements with potential partnering organizations.
- Complete other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.