Associate Dean of Undergraduate Medical Education
School of Medicine Columbia
SOMC Office of the Dean
Advertised Salary Range
Salary commensurate with experience
Location of Vacancy
Hours per Week
Full-time Equivalent (FTE)
Job Search Category
The University of South Carolina System is comprised of the state’s flagship university in Columbia (founded in 1801 and currently one of the top 50 “Best Colleges” according to U.S. News and World Report), three regional comprehensive universities ( USC Aiken, USC Beaufort and USC Upstate), and Palmetto College consisting of four two-year campuses ( USC Lancaster, USC Salkehatchie, USC Sumter, USC Union and Fort Jackson/Extended University). Together, the USC System institutions offer more than 450 degree programs on campus and online and are uniquely positioned to meet the state’s educational, cultural, health and research needs. The System employs nearly 14,000 people who work daily to improve the lives of students, fellow South Carolinians and the world. Our diverse engaged faculty and staff enjoy a dynamic and intellectually stimulating work environment.
At the University of South Carolina, we strive to cultivate an inclusive environment that is open, welcoming, and supportive of individuals of all backgrounds. We recognize diversity in our workforce is essential to providing academic excellence and critical to our sustainability. The University is committed to eliminating barriers created by institutional discrimination through accountability and continuous process improvement. We celebrate the diverse voices, perspectives, and experiences of our employees.
Advertised Job Summary
The University of South Carolina School of Medicine is seeking a student-centered faculty member to serve as the Associate Dean for
Undergraduate Medical Education. The Associate Dean for Undergraduate Medical education is responsible for the organization, supervision, and fiscal management of the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education which includes oversight of the Office of Student Services, the Office of Curricular Affairs, the Student Success and Wellness Center and the Florence Regional Campus. This position reports to the Dean of the School of Medicine and includes direct supervision of an administrative coordinator and a business manager.
This is a non-tenure track faculty position at the level of associate professor or professor who will be expected to spend at least 90% of their time in their duties as associate dean. Clinical faculty may opt to spend up to 10% of their time in clinical duties.
Supervises the Assistant Dean positions associated with the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education including student affairs, pre-clinical curriculum, clinical curriculum and assessment, clinical learning, and medical student education – Florence.
Supervises the Introduction to Clinical Medicine Course Director and faculty coaches assigned to the Student Success and Wellness Center.
Monitors proper and efficient use of assigned staff and faculty, provides staffing recommendations in compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity principles and guidelines, and completes annual staff and faculty evaluations.
Manages the office budget, and supervises the office business manager.
Coordinates and prepares timely, accurate, and comprehensive reports as requested, and responds to all required state, federal, and university requests.
Completes the Medical Student Performance Evaluation for the graduating class.
Engages in educational research.
Participates in professional organizations ( GSA , SGSA , GEA , SGEA , AAMC ).
Serves on school committees, including the Student Promotions Committee, the Curriculum Committee, and the Executive Committee.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Work as an effective team member in a collaborative work environment with demonstrated commitment to the values inherent to a culturally diverse workplace.
- Champion education and innovation.
- Communicate orally and in writing before groups.
- Call and facilitate meetings.
- Manage and/or participate with interdisciplinary teams.
- Work with innovative programs that encourage student engagement.
- Establish and maintain a productive and constructive rapport with students, administrators, faculty and staff from multi-cultural backgrounds.
- Understand and implement practices that are consistent with LCME standards/elements for medical student education (academic and non-academic).
- Train, select, direct, supervise, and evaluate personnel.
- Maintain current knowledge of program rules, regulations, requirements, and restrictions.
- Plan, organize and implement multiple projects and programs and provide updates to the Dean regarding progress towards completion.
- Compile and present narrative and statistical reports in a concise and comprehensive manner.
- Analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions, and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Effective, state-of-the art delivery of medical student educational programs and services.
- Contemporary pedagogical issues involving medical education.
- Successful interpersonal skills, organizational leadership, team building, staff development and communication techniques.
- Organization, operations, policies, and objectives.
- Computer based systems for administrative, business, and educational functions.
- Principles and practices of administration, supervision and training.
- Methods and techniques of program development and administration.
- Principles and procedures of report preparation.
Required Education and Experience
Candidates must have an M.D., D.O, Ph.D., or Ed.D from an accredited university. M.D./D.O candidates should be board certified in their medical specialty and licensed to practice medicine.
Candidates must possess or be eligible for an academic appointment as a faculty member in the UofSC School of Medicine Columbia.
They must have a demonstrated record of scholarly achievement, teaching experience, and service in an academic environment.
Experience specifically in undergraduate medical education is preferred.
Desired Start Date
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant
This position is open until filled. This employment site is updated on a regular basis. The length of the recruitment and screening process may vary from position to position, depending upon a variety of factors. Should review of your qualifications result in a decision to pursue your candidacy, you will be contacted by phone or email.
Quicklink for Posting
The University of South Carolina does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities on the basis of race, sex, gender, gender identity, transgender status, age, color, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genetics, protected veteran status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
List of References and Contact Information
Other Supporting Documents
Letter of Recommendation 1
Letter of Recommendation 2
Letter of Recommendation 3