Under the direction of the Custodial Supervisor or Administrative Services Supervisor-CMC, perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or facility to maintain buildings, locker rooms and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition.
This is a pool of substitutes to be called on an as needed basis
Schedule will vary and be contingent on need
Salary is at a Range 6
Location will vary on need
Substitutes may work at the Palm Desert Campus or one of our sites in Indio, Mecca/Thermal, Desert Hot Springs, or Palm Springs
- Perform a variety of custodial activities; sweep, scrub, mop, wax and polish floors and vacuum rugs and carpets in classrooms, offices, workshops and other work areas; spot clean and shampoo carpets.
- Clean classrooms, restrooms, showers, locker rooms, shops, cafeteria, offices and related facilities as assigned; sweep, mop and clean gymnasium floor; mop spills and remove gum and debris.
- Clean and disinfect drinking fountains, sinks, toilets, showers and urinals; fill dispensers with towels, soap, toilet paper and others items; clean mirrors, tile and windows; dust and polish furniture and woodwork.
- Wash windows and walls; clean chalkboards and erasers and empty pencil sharpeners.
- Lock and unlock doors and gates as appropriate; maintain security of assigned areas according to established guidelines; turn alarm system on and off.
- Pick up paper, trash and debris around school grounds and in buildings; sweep and clean walkways and entrances; empty and clean trash and garbage cans; replace liners.
- Operate cleaning equipment such as vacuums, buffer, carpet cleaner and sweeper and utilize mops, brooms and other related equipment.
- Set up lecture hall for classes and events as required; move furniture and set up chairs, tables, bleachers and other facilities for special events and activities.
- Assist with security during special events and activities.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Any combination equivalent to: graduation from high school and one year experience performing custodian duties.
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Basic methods, materials, tools and equipment used in custodial work and routine maintenance; proper methods of storing equipment, materials and supplies; proper lifting techniques.
Perform routine custodial activities at an assigned school site or facility to maintain buildings, locker rooms and adjacent grounds areas in a clean, orderly and secure condition; use cleaning materials, equipment and methods according to pre-determined standards; learn and apply knowledge of the schedules, procedures and use of equipment and supplies used in custodial work; learn appropriate safety precautions and procedures; maintain tools and equipment signed in clean working order and provide proper security; observe and report need for maintenance and repair; understand and follow oral and written directions; meet schedules and time lines; establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others; communicate effectively with others both orally and in writing; move heavy furniture and equipment; climb ladders to replace lights; walk or stand for extended periods; bend at the waist, kneel or crouch; reach overhead, above the shoulders and horizontally.
Working Conditions: Environment : Indoor and outdoor work environment. Regular exposure to fumes, dust and odors. Evening or variable hours.
Hazards : Contact with cleaning agents and chemicals.
Full Time/Part Time:
Weekly Working Hours: other
Work Schedule & Hours:
Salary Schedule Range: Range 6
Specific Departmental Needs: One (1) experience performing custodial duties.
Posting Number: 18-582
Number of Vacancies:
Desired Start Date:
Interview Date: 01/31/2019
Posting Open Date: 12/19/2018
Posting Close Date:
Open Until Filled: Yes