About International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): Together we build democracies that deliver for all. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral institutions/systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions. As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by providing technical assistance; empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process; and applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle. We believe that trusted electoral institutions deliver credible elections, effective governing institutions are accountable to the people they serve, all people safely participate in civic and political life on an equal basis and technology, information and data positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing to mature democracies.
We center the rights of marginalized people in the work we do and strongly encourage Black, Indigenous and other people of color; racial, ethnic and religious minorities; women; persons with disabilities; youth; people from working class backgrounds; and LGBTQ people to apply.
About the Position: IFES seeks a Pacific Islands Specialist to support the Asia-Pacific regional team with strategic context analysis, technical input on existing programming and exploring of new growth opportunities. The Specialist will report to the Asia-Pacific Regional Leadership and closely cooperate with the Country Leadership in the Pacific to provide specialized regional advisory support to the growing Pacific Islands portfolio of programs.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Advance IFES’ mission and competitive advantage by shaping and supporting program design and research in the Pacific.
- In coordination with the field team and leadership, new partnerships with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders to increase visibility of the portfolio and IFES’ work in the region
- Represent IFES externally at donor and partner gatherings, conferences, and other events.
- Work with field team to track democratic trends in the region and their impact on marginalized populations, identify development opportunities
- Contribute as a subject matter expert to development opportunities (solicited and unsolicited)
- Participate in development of division’s strategic plan.
- Conduct assessments in the region and design follow on programming for inclusive political participation, election administration and management.
- Provide ongoing advice and recommendations for program activities and conduct program reviews as necessary within field of expertise.
- Provide advice and recommendations to business development strategy discussions and execution.
- Integrate and disseminate good practices and lessons learned between teams in HQ and the field.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required in relevant field; Master’s degree in international relations, political science, international development preferred.
Experience: At least 8 years’ relevant experience in international development or related field. Minimum of five years of experience in implementing Pacific Islands programming.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Experienced with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required. Experience in proposal development required, with experience in program management and supervisory roles. Thorough familiarity with USAID, DRL, DFAT and other international donor regulations and reporting requirements preferred. Experience working with development actors at all levels. Detail-oriented and organized. Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines. Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing. Collaborative, team oriented individual.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required.
TRAVEL: Travel up to 15% of time.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Monthly Benefit Allowance paid directly to all employees
- Employer paid life and AD&D insurance at 3x base salary
- 401(k) retirement plan with 1:1 employer match up to 6%
- Employer paid Short and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Generous vacation (starting at 3 weeks and increasing with time of service), sick leave, and personal leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program