Ubuntu Pathways (www.ubuntupathways.org) provides South Africa’s most vulnerable children with what all children deserve––everything, every day. Since our inception in 1999, Ubuntu has grown into a thriving community institution in the heart of the townships as well as a global model for poverty alleviation, garnering recognition from the likes of the World Economic Forum, Aspen Institute, President Bill Clinton, and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Ubuntu’s comprehensive support system of education, health, job placement, and household stability takes 2,000 disadvantaged children on a cradle-to-career pathway out of poverty.
This is an exciting opportunity to work alongside the founding CEO and gain direct insight into the running of a global NGO working on the frontlines of the COVID-19 pandemic, pioneering a new entrepreneurial approach to sustainable, community-led development, and raising $5m - $6m of philanthropic capital annually. The Executive Coordinator will perform a range of tasks to organize and maximize the CEO’s time, serving as his right hand. This position will assist the CEO in executing the organization’s strategic plan and managing their external relations, programs, finance, and human resources departments across the United States, the United Kingdom, and South Africa. The Coordinator must have the ability to initiate projects and anticipate the CEO’s needs, while curating and managing a busy schedule.
What We’re Looking For
- Someone with a thirst for learning about the inner-workings of the international development and philanthropic sectors
- Someone who is proactive, able to anticipate the needs of others, and continually thinks about the next step
- Someone who can juggle multiple responsibilities at once in an organized fashion and has the ability to prioritize and accomplish tasks efficiently
- Someone who sees the big picture, as well as the details that fit into that picture.
- Someone who a team player, willing to jump in wherever they are needed
- Someone who is discrete, highly professional, and can maintain a high level of confidentiality
Essential duties include, but are not limited to:
Administrative Support for the Executive Office
- Draft and edit collateral including grants, presentations, emails, articles, and various forms of correspondence
- Lead preparation for CEO meetings internally and externally (circulate agendas, prepare materials, etc.), capture next steps, and ensure follow up
- Serve as a key resource to CEO in fundraising and organizational strategy; providing research, mapping out relationships and points of connections, and ensuring timely follow up with a variety of stakeholders
- Ensure maintenance of CEO’s social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, Medium, Instagram) and help to develop his personal brand, as it relates to the organization
- Assist in the solicitation of donations (in-kind and cash), programmatic partnerships, auction prizes, corporate relationships, and other organizational strategies
- Maintaining and curating the CEO’s calendar, ensuring that his time is maximized and aligned with organizational priorities
- Scheduling appointments and meetings both internally and externally; preparing all necessary agendas or documents for each meeting
- Oversee trips (both domestic and international) and ensure that logistics are smooth and organized
- Serve as gatekeeper for requests to participate in conferences/speaking engagements, serve as point person on presentations for external engagements
Board of Directors & Special Projects
- Serve as liaison to Ubuntu’s Board of Directors, including scheduling board meetings, disseminating materials and reports, taking minutes, and ensuring prompt correspondence between board members and the CEO
- Lead other special projects on an as-needed basis for the CEO and other members of the Executive Leadership Team
Funder Stewardship Support
- Contribute to institutional stewardship assignments and strategies.
- Issue reminders to stewards to hold and log meetings with funders.
- Ensure accurate record-keeping and institutional funder tracking by performing data entry and updates in Salesforce including funder profiles, stewardship assignments & strategies, pertinent correspondence, meetings, etc.
- Assist with various aspects of proposal and deliverable development for unrestricted, institutional, and strategic funding as required (e.g., organizing supporting documents, coordinating due dates and timelines, logging details in Salesforce).
- Maintain a collection of communications resources for stewards to use.
- Support internal stewardship program meetings with scheduling, logistics, note-taking, and follow-ups as needed.
Human Resources Support
- Manage staff personnel files and onboarding/offboarding processes
- Provide payroll support to the accounting team
- Serve as liaison to external insurance providers and manage insurance renewal processes
- Coordinate annual NYS compliance requirements
- Bachelors Degree
- At least 2-3 years work experience, preferably in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced, or nonprofit environment
- Strong written, verbal, copyediting and interpersonal communication skills, including minute-taking
- Excellent organizational and multi-tasking skills, attention to detail, and follow-through, as well as strong research and analytical skills
- Ability to handle confidential information and projects with professionalism and discretion
- Capacity to work under pressure and meet deadlines; ability to identify and take charge of tasks
- Fluency with Excel, Powerpoint, Word and other tracking tools
- Self-motivated, positive, and calm attitude
- Adaptability and flexibility
- Not essential but advantageous: experience with a database or connection to South Africa
If interested, please email email@example.com with your resume/CV and cover letter.