New Jersey’s academic health center, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) takes an integrated approach to educating students, providing clinical care, and conducting research, all with the goal of improving human health. Aligned with Rutgers University–New Brunswick and collaborating university wide, RBHS includes eight schools, a behavioral health network, and five centers and institutes that focus on cancer treatment and research, neuroscience, advanced biotechnology and medicine, environmental and occupational health, and health care policy and aging research.
Our faculty are teachers, clinicians, and scientists with unparalleled experience who advance medical innovation and provide patient care informed by the latest research findings. We offer an outstanding education in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, public health, nursing, biomedical research, and the full spectrum of allied health careers.
Our clinical and academic facilities are located throughout the state—at Rutgers University–New Brunswick, including Piscataway; and at locations in Newark, Scotch Plains, Somerset, Stratford, and other locations. Clinical partners include Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, Newark’s University Hospital in Newark, and other affiliates.
Through this community of healers, scientists, and scholars, Rutgers is equipped as never before to transform lives.
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey is seeking a Postdoctoral Fellow within the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology within the Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. The Postdoctoral Fellow’s primary interest will be to determine the molecular basis for the dietary requirement for the essential trace element selenium, which is a master regulator of oxidative stress that is required for cancer prevention, immune cell function and male fertility.
Among the key duties of this position are the following:
- Designs and lead research projects with support from the supervisor.
- Performs live cell imaging, transfection, molecular cloning, data analysis and presentation.
- Engages in scientific communication, training of junior personnel, grant writing and manuscript preparation.
- Responsible for creating and maintaining transgenic zebrafish lines in the vivarium. This involves handling fish for breeding,
fin clipping, injection and imaging.
- Performs studies which includes in vitro translation, metabolic labeling and mammalian tissue culture.