The Senior Director of Online Learning is responsible for the overall strategy, implementation and quality of distance learning programs offered by Kellogg Executive Education. This position is a key member of the Exec Ed Senior Leadership team and is responsible for engaging Kellogg faculty members and support staff in the development and ongoing delivery of all online learning programs.
Working in close coordination with faculty members, the Senior Director of Online Learning leads a team of instructional designers, digital technologists and program managers to plan, develop, construct, deliver, and evaluate/refine all of Kellogg’s online professional development programs. In addition, this position is responsible for managing the relationships and commercial agreements with crucial Online Program Manager (OPM) partners as well as vendors involved in the production and certification of digitally delivered programs. In this role, the Senior Director is responsible for an overall revenue target of $6-10 million per year and is expected to have business acumen, consultative and strategic thinking skills, strong organizational skills, and key account relationship abilities.
Please Note: Early morning, nights and weekend work required, plus occasional travel.
Online Program Strategy
- Set the product-market strategy for Kellogg Executive Education non-degree online learning, including all digital open enrollment and custom programs.
- Closely follow industry developments in online education, track peer school and non-University offerings, and evaluate third-party providers who might be valuable partners to Kellogg.
- Achieve annual revenue targets while delivering high quality learning opportunities for thousands of participants and maintaining costs within budget.
- Define online learning policies, practices and standards consistent with all Kellogg Executive Education offerings and accretive to Kellogg’s brand and reputation.
- Determine the optimal mix of online open enrollment and custom programs, developed both in-house and with OPM partners, based on market opportunity, faculty availability, educational mission, financial viability and other relevant considerations.
- Work closely with faculty to generate awareness of Executive Education online programming and actively recruit and coach them to build both open enrollment and custom programs (including those with our OPM partners).
- Innovate and update the portfolio of offerings, launching or rebuilding 3-5 new or existing custom and open enrollment programs per year.
- Continuously evaluate program quality and participant experience, ensuring best practices are embedded across all programs, and taking corrective actions when necessary.
- Support and coordinate online program marketing efforts with the Senior Director of Marketing for Executive Education for open enrollment programs
- Support and coordinate online program marketing efforts with, the Senior Director of Business Development in client relationship building and custom online program selling
- Work closely with the marketing teams of OPM partners.
Program Design and Delivery
- Engage faculty interested in developing new programs and prepare them to be successful in the design, development and delivery of online education.
- Define the product positioning and target market for each online program; for custom programs, determine client requirements and translate to learning objectives, instructional design and creative design of program
- Gather and analyze participant feedback, including completion rates and satisfaction levels across all programs.
- Establish the unique educational and design standards that define Kellogg Executive Education online learning and harmonize the look and feel of the online experience for participants; work with OPM partners as necessary to instill these principles in design and delivery.
- Establish the systems to track the scheduled dates and key milestones of all online programs.
- Continuously evaluate existing and potentially new LMS platforms from which to run online learning programs. Work with clients to host Kellogg custom programs on their proprietary platforms.
Partner and Vendor Management
- Oversee all commercial agreements and negotiate favorable terms from online partners and vendors.
- Review and approve all online vendor bills, OPM and custom client invoices, and faculty royalty payments from online programs.
- Work closely with OPMs to design, develop and delivery online programs; approve marketing collateral and program delivery resources
- Work with Kellogg Finance team to track program profitability.
- Recruit, develop and retain a team of professionals dedicated to the design and delivery of high-quality distance learning.
- Contract for outside consultants and technicians as needed and justified by the economics of the program opportunity.
- Master’s degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
- 12-15 years of relevant work experience.
- Considerable experience in learning, executive and management development, or related fields.
- Considerable experience in managing a line of business, particularly in services and client-oriented businesses
- Leadership experience, relationship management experience, budgeting experience, and managing complex teams or equivalent experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong executive presence, and ability to communicate effectively with professionals ranging from C-suite executives to frontline managers.
- Skilled in analytical thinking, problem solving, decision-making, organization, presentation, and customer service.
- Ability to design, develop, and oversee delivery of educational programs.
- Strong ability to collaborate with a cross-functional team and encourage cooperation from divergent stakeholders including C-suite executives, corporate clients and senior, tenured faculty.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Detail oriented.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office.
- Experience training and developing in corporate environment and/or higher education.
- Experience developing curriculum in corporate environment and/or higher education.
- Experience in online learning
- Experience in executive education
- Experience in cross-cultural work environments.
- PhD or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired.
Preferred Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities)
- Vendor/Partner management
- Marketing communications
- Instructional design
- Educational technology
- Client relationship building