Berkeley Lab’s Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Division (ESDR) is looking for a Chemist Postdoctoral Fellow!
In this role, you will carry out multidisciplinary electrochemical research. This is an excellent opportunity for a talented researcher who has experience with battery material synthesis, advanced material and comprehensive electrochemical characterization.
What You Will Do:
- Synthesize and examine solid electrolyte battery materials.
- Develop appropriate cell configurations and testing procedures to evaluate cell performance using different techniques, e.g., electrochemical impedance spectroscopy and galvanostatic cycling, etc.
- Build understanding on the limitations at the material and/or cell level through material and electrochemical characterization for performance optimization.
- Design and execute experiments, analyze and interpret results.
- Prepare reports, manuscripts and presentations, and present progress at meetings.
- Lead and coordinate collaborative research in the team of various scientific backgrounds.
What is Required:
- A recent Ph.D. in Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, or a related field.
- Experience with solid electrolyte synthesis and processing.
- Experience with solid-state cell assembly and testing.
- Knowledge of material systems/chemistry and lithium batteries.
- Ability to work independently towards project goals and think mechanistically to conceive ideas and design experiments.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills with the ability to effectively interact and collaborate with a diverse team.
What We Prefer:
- Experience in general battery laboratory equipment operation and maintenance.
For full consideration, please apply by May 18, 2021 with the following application materials:
- Cover Letter - Describe your interest in this position and the relevance of your background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- This is a full time, M-F, exempt from overtime pay (monthly paid), 1 year, postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years of paid postdoctoral experience.
- Salaries for postdoctoral positions depend on years of experience post-degree and are predetermined based on postdoctoral step rates.
- This position is represented by a union for collective bargaining purposes.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
The Energy Storage and Distributed Resources Division (ESDR ) works on developing advanced batteries and fuel cells for transportation and stationary energy storage, grid-connected technologies for a cleaner, more reliable, resilient, and cost-effective future, and demand-responsive and distributed energy technologies for a dynamic electric grid.
Berkeley Lab’s Postdoc Program is committed to providing Postdoctoral Researchers and Visiting scholars with a positive and impactful experience to jump-start their career through premium research and career development, networking opportunities, mentoring programs, and a strong community. For more information, please visit our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Resources site and our Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association site.
Berkeley Lab is committed to Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accountability (IDEA) and strives to hire individuals who share these same values and commitments.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Click here to view the poster and supplement: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law."