At NMSI, our people mean everything to us. They are the lifeblood of the organization. Without our staff, NMSI is just an idea. The Director will lead the Research & Evaluation team to design and execute NMSI’s internal program evaluation strategy and liaise with external advisors to advance third-party external evaluation work. The Director will have the ability to effectively use data to tell the story of NMSI and inform programmatic decision-making. The full-time position reports directly to the Chief Operating Officer and is based from a remote home office anywhere in the contiguous United States.
What are the details?
- Develop and execute internal program research and evaluation strategy to manage projects, identify and capture crucial learnings to influence NMSI’s programming
- Build NMSI’s research agenda and manage external evaluations of program results to support federal or philanthropic grant reporting
- Ensure external evaluation study activities and data collection are successfully completed
- Analyze large sets of program data from multiple sources to solve critical challenges, make meaning, establish evidence, and synthesize to tell the NMSI story
- Advise on core analytic issues and ensure the organization is abreast of cutting-edge research in the field
- Define success criteria for projects and create timely data reports that provide immediate feedback on NMSI programs to internal and external stakeholders to course correct
- Use compelling visualizations and reports, with an intentional focus on the intended audience and purpose of the message
- Design and maintain data collection tools and systems to capture meaningful program data
- Engage in learning conversation with stakeholders on evaluation needs, finding and recommendations
- Use Business Intelligence tools (including Power BI and Qualtrics) to access data and complete analyses reliably and efficiently
- Summarize annual program progress and results for NMSI initiatives, and use clear and concise written narrative, data, charts, and visualizations that will form the basis for marketing and fundraising materials
- Manage the Research and Evaluation team to meet ambitious goals and develop them professionally, promoting a team culture of high performance and accountability
- Other duties as assigned
What are we looking for?
- Education & Experience – You have at least five years of direct experience leading and designing complex research projects, ideally within the Prek-12 education space. Bachelor’s degree required; a Ph.D. or Ed.D. related to the field of education research and evaluation (a strong plus)
- Obsessed with Data – You have outstanding quantitative skills, ability to organize, structure, manipulate, and analyze data and execute research and make it come alive; experience with statistical software packages such as R or SPSS is highly desirable
- Inclusive – You can work effectively with people regardless of age, gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or job type—or any other factor that makes us unique!
- Organized & Productive – You are a master at planning your day and not letting distractions come in between meeting your goals and possess a sense of urgency in completing activities
- Reliable – You can work effectively with minimal supervision, but you also know when to ask for help
- Flexible – You are comfortable working in an ambiguous environment with competing priorities; you’re willing to travel a few times throughout the year when necessary
- Growth Mindset – You learn from failure and crave feedback because you know that it makes you better; you are also not afraid to give feedback to your manager or colleagues
- Tech Savvy – You embrace technology as a tool to enhance your work effectiveness but not a tool to replace hard work. You have experience with Business Intelligence tools such as Power BI
Want to learn more?
The National Math and Science Initiative is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to transforming math and science education in today’s classrooms and ensuring that all students have the knowledge and skills to thrive in the global economy of the 21st century. Founded in 2007, NMSI dramatically improved student participation and success in rigorous Advanced Placement math, science and English courses in 85 courses across seven states. Today, NMSI has scaled its proven program to serve more than 1.5 million students, 50,000 teachers, 1,000 high schools and 45 universities across 40 states and has a demonstrable and lasting impact on student outcomes. Go to www.nms.org to learn more.
The organization has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate.
National Math + Science Initiative (NMSI) provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. NMSI complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which we have employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.