Requisition Id 5780
We are seeking a Human Machine Interaction and Learning for Manufacturing Postdoc who will focus on quantifying and improving human machine interactions for manufacturing processes. This position resides in the Manufacturing and Automation Controls Group in the Manufacuring Sciences Division of the Energy Science and Technology Directorate at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL).
As part of our research team, you will quantify the current complexity and use that information to inform the design of next generation interfaces. In addition, the sensing and metrics necessary to complete that enable the development of machine learning algorithms that will allow future interfaces/systems to better understand opertor intent. The second pillar of this project is the initial exploration of that work.
- Conduct research into quantifying human-machine interactions for complex manufacturing processes
- Use that information to develop design rules and next-generation human-machine interfaces, quantifying the performance of each
- Research using modern machine-learning algorithms to learn machine operator intent and adjust user interface and machine operation accordingly
- A Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline
- Experience in studying operator behaviors for complex processes
- Experience quantifying the underlying heuristics used by humans into design rules or human-machine interface (HMI) designs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Motivated self-starter with the ability to work independently and to participate creatively in collaborative teams across the laboratory
- Ability to function well in a fast-paced research environment, set priorities to accomplish multiple tasks within deadlines, and adapt to ever changing needs
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and availability of funding.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.