Position TitleCareer Specialist - PT Flex
DepartmentCareer and Job Placement Cntr
Position TypePart-Time Flex
Job FamilyPart-Time Flex
Career Specialist role supports the onboarding and engagement of student interns participating in the Summer Signature Internship program. The ideal candidate should have a passion for student development and have some understanding of workforce development or HR practices. The candidate must be a team player who will be committed to assisting our team in providing the logistical support services to students and employers participating in the summer internship program. The Career Specialist reports directly to the Workforce Manager.
Please note this is a part-time temporary grant-funded position. It will last about 15 weeks
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• A minimum of two years of experience in Human Resources, or a Student Services work related field.
• Experience with database management, and MS Office applications.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact effectively across internal and external organizational structures.
• Strong follow-up and follow-through skills.
• Outstanding communication skills that emphasize effective listening.
• Experience working with a diverse group of people and experience in the career planning or job search assistance field.
• Must be organized with the ability to provide career education support to students.
• Innovative, dependable, and diligent in completion of tasks and projects.
• Experience with employer recruitment processes and monitoring employment trends.
• Ability to respond appropriately to the cultural differences within CLC student and staff body.
• Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
• Bilingual in Spanish and English
Expected Start Date05/24/2021
Special Instructions Summary
Please note this is a grant funded PT-Flex summer position (May – August 2021)
This is a part-time flex position and employment shall be on an at-will basis, the duration of which shall be in accordance with the needs of the College of Lake County.
Part-time flex employees are not eligible to participate in any benefits program at the College, including tuition reimbursement, tuition waiver, health insurance or paid time off.
*This is a grant funded position; continued employment in this position is based on external funding sources.
Total Hours per week15-20
Please note this position is a temporary PT Flex grant paid for the period of May through August 2021 with 15-20 hours per week.
Scheduled days and hours are flexible.
Software Testing RequiredPowerpoint, Excel, MS Word, Outlook
Interview Process RequirementsNone
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Student and Customer Service: 60%
1. Ability to pre-screen, identify and interview qualified potential applicants, promotes work opportunities to students and refer applicants to vacant positions.
2. Assist students with resume development and interview preparation
3. Coach students and supervisors to foster development of satisfactory job performance
4. Conduct student and supervisor orientation
Project Leadership: 30%
1. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work including a variety of employers
2. Keep thorough records of all recruitment activity, including reporting and tracking applicant data.
3. Establish metrics and track engagement and outcome levels to determine progress of employer engagement. Prepare regular informational and statistical reports regarding job placement success weekly and monthly.
4. Monitor program compliance with laws, rules, and regulations regarding the provisions of the College, State and Federal government.
5. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Prepare clear and concise reports
1. Verify student’s eligibility for program participation
2. Help students in making sure they complete required assessments and documentation
3. Work in tandem with internship team members to refer students to support services as needed.