Location: Springfield, MA Category: Maintainer/Maintenance Posted On: Thu Apr 22 2021 Job Description:
Under the direction of the Facilities Supervisor, this position is responsible for performing janitorial, custodial, housekeeping, grounds keeping or routine maintenance for the buildings and grounds.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performs specific cleaning tasks in all campus buildings, including dusting rooms and objects within rooms; washing walls, windows, floors, soiled equipment and objects; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; stripping and refinishing hard surface floors; deep cleaning soft floors/furniture; insuring proper use of cleaning chemicals and equipment; moving furniture/appliances; making general repairs of a simple nature to buildings and equipment; removing snow and performing grounds keeping tasks.
- Cleans campus property such as offices, classrooms, corridors, walls, floors, windows, furniture, woodwork, toilets, lavatories or fixtures by washing, waxing, buffing, sweeping, polishing, dusting, or vacuum cleaning; and empties and cleans waste barrels, garbage cans and other waste receptacles.
- Cleans above areas and contents in a systematic and consistent manner as prescribed by departmental procedures and within the standards prescribed.
- Locates weaknesses in cleanliness, such as dirt and stains, in assigned area and takes corrective actions.
- Cleans sidewalks, collects and hauls debris from around buildings.
- Shovels snow from sidewalks, ramps, entry areas, roofs, etc.
- Makes general repairs of a simple nature, including minor repairs to campus buildings.
- Prepares work orders for repairs and to correct deficiencies.
- Assists in maintaining the security of buildings by locking and unlocking areas; reports unusual or suspicious situations to public safety.
- Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, ceiling tiles, window treatments, screens and performs other light maintenance.
- Uses and maintains environmental services department equipment to assure good condition; makes basic repairs as needed.
- Reports to supervisors regarding activities completed, supplies needed, and pending issues.
- Provides on-campus moving services of university-owned furniture and equipment.
- Performs routine laboring tasks to assist skilled tradespeople engaged in maintenance, repair or construction work using hand and electrical tools appropriate to craft.
- Plants, seeds, transplants, removes, prunes, trims, waters, sprays or fertilizes trees, shrubbery, grass, plants or flowers; participates in the propagation, growth and care of flowers, plant and shrubs; assists in planning and executing horticultural designs for grounds beautification.
- Sweeps sidewalks, rakes and collects leaves, collects and hauls debris or rubbish, shovels snow, sands roadways or walkways; performs other manual tasks involved with snow removal, control and disposal. i.e. salting, manually shoveling snow, using snow blowers etc.
- Cleans, washes, refuels, oils or greases trucks or automobiles; performs other manual labor tasks in connection with the maintenance and operation of a garage or equipment depot.
- Performs manual labor in a stockroom, storeroom or warehouse, such as loading or unloading freight, materials or equipment; receiving, unpacking and storing goods, materials and equipment
- Operates wheel tractors, electric trimmers, buffers or other similar mechanical or power-driven equipment; drives a truck.
- This position is essential personnel and is required to perform routine disinfection in order to prevent the spread of illness on campus, as well as, in response to covid-19 confirmed cases.
- Three (3) years custodial experience preferred
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to follow oral and written directions
- Ability to lift medium to heavy objects
- Must be able to stand or walk for prolonged periods of time
- Must have the ability to climb and work on ladders and scaffolds
- Must have the physical stamina and endurance
- Must have manual dexterity and mechanical aptitude.
- Must be able to work outside in all weather conditions
- Must be able to work in a diverse college setting
- Required to be a member of the campus snow removal team
- Experience in a college setting preferred
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Maintainers stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects; work outdoors in all types of weather; work varied shifts, weekends, holidays or nights; are exposed to the hazard of wet, slippery floors; work under exposure to the hazards to chemicals, toxic and noxious fumes, dust, excessive heat, high noise levels, high volume traffic conditions and high voltage wires; work from ladders and scaffolds; and may be required to climb trees and operate motor vehicles
See Also Mass. Dept. of Personnel Admin. Job specifications/Maintainer http://www.mass.edu/shared/documents/classificationspecs/specspers/Maintainer Series.doc
SALARY: $1,332.39 bi-weekly Grade 9 -Step 1
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: AFSCME
GRANT FUNDED: No
WORK SCHEDULE: M-F 9:00-5:30 pm & M-F 2:00-10:00 pm Must be available to report to work during school delays and closings.
STCC conducts a pre-employment screening on specified positions, which may include, but is not limited to, a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and/or Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. Finalist(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment screening (i.e. physical and drug screening ) as a condition of employment.