Employees hired into Administrative and Professional positions posted on or after July 1, 2017, will be governed by and, if employed on July 1, 2018 will move into the new University Human Resources System. For additional information, go to http://greatplace.vcu.edu.
Is this employee on a H1B Visa?
Teaching and Research Faculty
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
School of Nursing
School of Nursing
Grant funded position?
Mission or Goal of Unit
The mission of the School of Nursing is to shape the future of nursing through the power of education, discovery, and collaboration.
Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal
VCU School of Nursing is seeking an Associate Dean of Academic Affairs (ADAA) and is accountable to the Dean. This position leads the academic mission of the School of Nursing by providing leadership in strategic planning for academic programs and curricular development. The ADAA ensures delivery of academic programs that provide positive learning experiences for students and result in competent nursing professionals. Additionally, this role ensures that academic programs are consistent with the mission and goals of VCU, and are reflective of national trends and needs within the state and region.
- Accountable for the Office of Academic Programs (OAP), Office of Student Success (OSS), and the Clinical Learning Center (CLC).
- Supervises OAP staff, Assistant Dean of OSS, Director of the CLC and Program Directors.
- Oversees the development, delivery, and systematic evaluation of academic programs including adherence to applicable academic policies (at the school, university, state, and national level); assurance of accreditation standards, and preparation of internal and external administrative reports related to academic programs (in collaboration with Program Directors, Concentration Leads and RN-BS Coordinator, and Curriculum Committee Chairs).
- Develops and maintains a smooth and efficient infrastructure for academic delivery that includes course/section scheduling, clinical placements, room scheduling, learning space, and online course delivery.
- Facilitates teaching effectiveness of all faculty toward maintaining quality academic programs.
- Collaborates with the Assistant Dean of the Office of Student Success to ensure positive and quality student experiences from recruitment and admissions through
- Fosters a positive internal environment, collaboration, and consensus building among faculty and staff.
- Leads and implements special projects, education-related grant proposals, or other assignments in response to organizational needs.
- Serves as a liaison resource for VCU schools and the VCU Health System in development of cooperative and interprofessional educational initiatives/programs.
- Maintains personal academic faculty obligations in accordance with area of expertise and as negotiated with Dean.
- Represents the School of Nursing within the university, health system, and with external constituents related to academic programs and as assigned by the Dean.
- Convenes the Academic Council and the Global Advisory Council.
– Earned doctorate in nursing or related discipline; master’s degree in nursing if PhD is in a related field.
– Full-time senior faculty rank (Associate Professor or Professor).
– Documented experience with academic program management.
– Extensive teaching experience at graduate and/or undergraduate levels.
– Significant record of scholarly achievement.
– Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
– Tenured or tenure eligible within VCU SON.
– Expertise in curriculum development and program evaluation.
– Academic administrative experience at a senior level.
Application Deadline Date
Proposed Hire Date
Application Process/Additional Information
Note: Candidates who apply by the priority deadline of May 23, 2021 will be considered first.
Candidates must apply to this faculty position through the university’s career website at https://www.vcujobs.com to be considered for this position. For further information about this position contact Demmie Pennix, HR Administrator, School of Nursing at (804) 628-7583 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.