A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Statistics at the University of Michigan is a growing department with three majors, three master’s programs and a PhD program which in total numbers approximately 1,000 declared students. Our administrative and student services teams work closely together and value collaboration, hard work and fun.
As a key member of the student services team, the PhD Program Coordinator serves as a primary staff liaison for Statistics and Astronomy PhD students, as well as provides a high level of support to the faculty program directors and admissions chairs. The position provides a broad range of administrative and programmatic assistance across both programs. The coordinator is responsible for administering all aspects of the PhD programs: supporting the faculty program directors; tracking academic and funding requirements for students; communicating with students and related stakeholders; coordinating admissions and contributing to recruitment efforts; as well as assisting with activities and projects. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic, well-rounded professional with a background in student services support and related administration operations, policies, and procedures; has experience working effectively with widely diverse populations; and brings a dedication to quality and customer service.
This position reports to the Student Services Manager for the Departments of Astronomy and Statistics.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Recruiting and Admissions:
- Support all student recruitment and admissions activities
- Coordinate at least 4 student visits and corresponding logistics each year
- Respond to student inquiries regarding recruitment opportunities and application issues
- Process applications for faculty review, coordinate and attend faculty admissions meetings, coordinate decision letters, process admissions, etc.
- Maintain tracking mechanisms for admissions
- Provide support for Statistics PhD and Astronomy PhD programs
- Maintain and update databases of student records and funding
- Work with faculty program directors in each program to ensure student success
- Monitor and manage student academic progression, including: funding, milestones, academic standing, research completion, degree audits, international student visa compliance, students in crisis, etc.
- Support student award processes and coordinate GSRA/GSI appointments
- Assist with developing processes and materials for department procedures
- Track student travel funding
- Maintain FERPA compliance and implement department, LSA, Rackham policies and procedures
Program Operations and Support:
- Collaborate with appropriate faculty and staff to maintain up-to-date information on department websites
- Represent PhD programs at relevant department, College, and University events/meetings
- Schedule and attend relevant curriculum committee meetings, prepare materials, serve as reporter
- Support student events such as: orientation, graduation, etc.
- Coordinate course scheduling as needed with staff
- Engage in basic data management and reporting via MPathways and other University systems
- Collect periodic feedback from students and provide details to administration
- Participate in pertinent development, training and workshop opportunities to increase knowledge base, enhance skills, and keep current on changes relative to the role
- Assist in ensuring a welcoming, positive, and professional environment
- May perform other responsibilities as assigned
- Relationship and community building with our exceptional PhD students is required
Skills You Have
- Detail orientated, ability to follow department and college established procedures/processes.
- Excellent time management and planning skills with exceptional follow-through, with a strong emphasis on the ability to multi-task.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully manage multiple priorities, produce quality work, and meet strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work with enthusiasm.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Ability to work cooperatively to achieve common goals; support cooperation, collaboration and the sharing of information while providing the best quality product available and continuously upgrade standards to maintain quality, in all areas of responsibility.
- Openness to new ideas and their implementation. Ability to think quickly and adapt to changing situations appropriately.
- Ability to listen carefully to and understand customers’ needs, both internally and externally, and proactively respond to those needs in a consistent and timely manner.
- Demonstrated analytical skills with the ability to recognize opportunities, identify critical, high pay-off activities and prioritize them to attain goals.
Associate degree or equivalent and more than four years of experience. Experience with university student services and/or related administrative services.
Bachelor's degree preferred.
The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
- To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity-equity-and-inclusion.html
- To learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.