Minnesota Independence College and Community (MICC) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit vocational and life skills training program for young adults with learning differences and autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Since our founding in 1996, MICC has remained dedicated to helping our students make successful transitions towards independent living and financial self-sufficiency. Using our MICC Curriculum, our students learn in their own apartments, at the grocery store, in the workplace, at restaurants, and on public transportation—any practical environment where life skills are needed.
We believe our students can live independent, self-sufficient, whole lives. Having learned the skills to open doors previously closed to them, the future of our students is limitless. We are not simply a three-year experience; we are a lifelong partner to an individual who learns differently.
The Advisor is responsible for providing program services to assigned participants of the Community Program that support independent living in the community with a focus in the areas of social/emotional supports, service coordination, family communication, and independent living skill development while promoting and coordinating additional supports in wellness and social engagement.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to personally connect with participants and their support network effectively and professionally with positive and person-centered practices
- Collaborate and coordinate in the design, implementation, promotion and evaluation of individual service plans and goals for program participants
- Demonstrate sound judgement and professional boundaries in the delivery of direct services
- Demonstrate independent decision-making, planning and follow-through
- Manage complex appointment schedules with flexibility and consistent communication
- Maintain effective and professional communication with individuals inside and outside MICC
- Build and maintain positive relationships with community partners and promote MICC whenever possible
- Maintain confidentiality and promote respect for all MICC participants, staff, families and others
- Record participant information, track work time and report time as required
- Perform other duties as assigned
Areas of Responsibility
- Meet regularly with assigned participants to support them in their independent living, including budgeting and banking tasks, daily scheduling/time management activities, social skills, healthy living, apartment/home cleanliness/safety and interpersonal situations requiring conflict resolution and peer relationship coaching
- Traveling off-campus to participant residences in company vehicle
- Ensure regular health & safety check-ins are being conducted on-time
- Identify and implement accommodations that may be necessary to assist with participant’s independent living in the community
- Promote and encourage participant attendance at Community Program activities
- Case note all information in participants electronic file and communicate to families as appropriate and in accordance with policy or process guidelines
- Assist with services coverage for other employees to ensure essential services coverage during sick and vacation time
- Assist as needed in Community Program, including providing support for transportation or other appointments services
- Participate as needed during all Family Weekends, staff meetings, service review meetings with participant families, workshops, training, etc.
- Maintain regular communication with College Transition and Careers program staff regarding participants, specifically during the senior year, to assist with the transition to Community Program as requested
- Communicate in a timely manner to coordinate schedules with other program staff for coverage and flexibility to handle crisis with assigned participant and assist others with their assigned participants
- Act as a resource to the College and Careers Programs, assisting as necessary
- Collaborate with other employees to innovate improved processes, develop new programming options, and contribute to program evaluation reports and outcomes upon request
- Work with families, participants and local service providers to assist with service scheduling, ensure requested services are being delivered and provide feedback to families on quality and effectiveness of services as requested
- Attend service provider meetings upon request, including intake, service plan updates, annual planning and assessments
- Assist in determining services needed and coordination of support to participants for areas including Activities of Daily Living, mental health support, medical coordination, financial coordination, wellness services, and social/community engagement
- Identify and help resolve behavioral and mental health concerns of participants and refer to external services professionals in coordination with parents/guardians as required
- Promote the use of public services and service providers at the county and state level for participants who need daily prompting or guidance to remain safe and their independent living situation.
- Provide problem resolution assistance during critical participant incidents or crisis
- Act as liaison and advocate for participants during critical situations, medical crisis, or conflicts with peers, community members, law enforcement, or family members
- Complete documentation in incident reports and mandating reporting events objectively and on-time
- Provide in-person support to participants during emergencies until family participants or other designated support person arrives
- Accommodate participants with schedules and check-in plans over weekend and night-time hours during crisis situations related to mental health, medical, and/or significant behavioral issues as needed
Education & Experience
- B.A., B.S. in Social/Human Sciences (Counseling, Social Work, Mental Health, Behavior Therapy, Special Education or similar) is required.
- 3+ years of experience mentoring and/or counseling individuals with ASD or other learning disabilities, MA in Counseling or Social Work, and/or knowledge of county waivers or case management experience are preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to identify and assist in solving problems using strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills, as well as the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse population
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility and good judgment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of organizational, employee and student information
- Demonstrated professionalism in work performance and communication with others
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills, with strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to drive and valid driver’s license is required for this position
Minnesota Independence College and Community(MICC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. MICC provides equal access and employment opportunities to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sex, ancestry, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, veteran status, military status, or any other protected class in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. MICC is committed to embracing diverse perspectives and creating a supportive environment for all to discuss, challenge, and explore how we can continuously enrich the MICC community.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,000.00 - $43,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Work from home
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place