Position TitleMedical Assistant
Open Internally or ExternallyExternal
Reports to (title)Clinic Manager
DepartmentCenter for Health and Counseling-4D9
Starting Salary$29,287.00 - $32,948.00
Job Open Date03/11/2021
Open Until FilledYes
Priority Review Date03/26/2021
The person in this position is part of the team concept in our Center for Health & Counseling health delivery system. They will assist the clinical staff in performing their duties and the necessary functions required in accordance with established policies and procedures.
Clinical duties may include taking medical histories, recording vital signs, preparing patients for examination, collect and prepare laboratory specimens or perform basic laboratory tests on the premises, dispose of contaminated supplies, sterilize medical instruments and give injections.
Administrative duties may include answering phones, greeting patients, updating and filing patients records, scheduling appointments, handling billing and bookkeeping.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
Perform administrative support duties to include answering phones, greeting patients, updating and filing patients records, scheduling appointments, handling billing and bookkeeping. Keyboarding and data entry using a variety of software programs. Maintain a safe, efficient, confidential, patient-friendly working environment to ensure a quality experience for patients.
Perform clinical duties to include taking medical histories, recording vital signs, preparing patients for examination. Collect and prepare laboratory specimens. Dispose of contaminated supplies. Sterilize medical instruments. Administer injectable medications and vaccines and perform laboratory work including venipuncture, finger stick, urinalysis, culture specimens, etc. Triage patients and administer first aid.
Participate in staff meetings and programs to support other units within department.
Other duties as assigned.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Current Certified Medical Assistant credential or the equivalent of two years demonstrated medical assistant experience including clinical skills, administrative skills, and laboratory skills.
One additional year of experience in one or more of the following areas: Medical Assistant, Certified Nursing Assistant, Clerical, Reception, Scheduling, Cashiering, Administrative Assistant, or other medical or healthcare related experience.
Trade off 1:1 in experience/education for additional one year of experience requirement. For example, completion of 30 credit hours (1 year equivalent) of post high school higher education may be considered in lieu of the one additional year of experience.
Part-time experience may be substituted on a prorated basis.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Keyboarding and data entry skills using a variety of software programs.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Inter-personal skills.
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Ability to interface with campus community and work with a diverse population.
- Team player and excellent customer service skills.
- Knowledge of accounts payable and receivable procedures.
- Current First Aid & CPR Certifications.
- Ability to maintain quality assurance program to ensure optimal clinic performance.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to current OSHA and employee health standards to ensure a safe patient and work place environment.
- Current CPR certification. Must complete continuing education to maintain certificate.
- Must be reliable with ability to maintain personal attendance and punctuality to ensure a smooth, efficient clinic flow and maintain consistent clinic hours of operation.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of diverse people, ability, culture, ethnic background, to maintain good working relationships across the College.
- Ability to work with all groups in a diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic background of community college students, faculty and staff, including those with disabilities.
• Full consideration will be given to applicants who apply on or before the priority review date indicated above.
• More information about Salt Lake Community College benefits: http://i.slcc.edu/hr/docs/benefits/benefits-summary-current.pdf
• Multiple vacancies may be filled by this one posting.
Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) is fully committed to policies of equal employment and nondiscrimination. The College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, religion, protected veteran status, expression of political or personal beliefs outside of the workplace, or any other status protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.
SLCC is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”).
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check.