Department: Athletic Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Exempt Reports To: Athletic Director
Travel Required: Yes Positions Supervised: Assistant Coach
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty
satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with
disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Provide overall management and leadership of the women’s basketball program by utilizing
appropriate player development, game management, and program oversight techniques.
- Responsible for complete and thorough budget review and adherence to athletic budget as
prescribed by the President.
- Manage women’s basketball program’s financial affairs effectively, ethically, and innovatively
within the constraints of approved budget.
- Serve as secondary advisor to all athletes on the women’s basketball team to assure
registration and eligibility standards are met.
- Perform (in a timely manner) all documentation requirements of budgetary expenditures.
- Supervision of team members, both on and off the court. This includes timely communication
with enrollment, financial aid, housing, dining, and student life professionals.
- Recruit qualified student-athletes to Miles Community College.
- Work as assigned by the Athletic Director and/or President or his/her designee for the many
fund raising activities that MCC does in conjunction with the Pioneer Club.
- Facilitate practice and game times for the current and following seasons in coordination with
athletic department. This includes developing the season’s schedule of games and coordinating
all components of team travel.
- Be active in regional meetings and correspondence.
- Assist in the maintenance of a safe classroom, laboratory, and college workplace environment
for students and employees of the college.
- Be an advocate of the college; endeavor to enhance its image and strengthen its role in
providing programs and services to students and community; this includes activities involved
with recruiting and retaining students.
- Participate in assigned committees
- Responsible for ensuring officials are assigned for home contests in coordination with the
- Adhere to all NJCAA regulations and reporting requirements.
- Work closely with Title IX Coordinator on student-athlete awareness programs and
understanding of college policies.
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as mutually determined with appropriate
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands;
Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change,
delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Business Acumen - Understands basic business practices.
- Change Management - Communicates changes effectively.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens
and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and
grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read
and interpret written information.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving
measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to
customer needs; Meets commitments.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Matches the responsibility to the person; Sets
expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility
for own actions; Keeps commitments.
- Initiative - Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action.
- Judgment - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment;
Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making
process; Makes timely decisions.
- Managing People - Includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process
improvement; Makes self available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops
subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Improves processes, products and services.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks
correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Organizes or
schedules other people and their tasks.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes
information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats
others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts
responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase
productivity; Works efficiently.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Adapts strategy to
- Inclusion – Provides an environment that is inclusive of all students and supports
- Assessment – Assesses annual performance and works closing with the institutional research and
enrollment management team.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Associate’s degree, Bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: Coaching experience to include daily practice plans and athlete recruiting plans. Proven
skills in working with athletic club boosters, fund raising and working within a predetermined budget.
PHYSICAL: Is in good physical condition and able to project a positive model to the athletes and