The Director for Academic Advising and Student Success provides leadership and support for advising initiatives across the College directly on behalf of the Vice President for Student Success. The Director supports and serves as a critical resource for the VPSS and other senior leaders in operation and delivery of key initiatives that further the College’s goals of increasing retention and graduation rates through enhanced advising practices. This includes but is not limited to enhancing student transitions to the College from high schools, creating professional development and regular communications for the advising community, developing standardization where appropriate to achieve quality across campus, implementing national best practices, and more. This role involves working very closely with Academic Affairs across the institution.
PRIMARY DUTIES PERFORMED:
Facilitate the implementation of best practices in advising across campuses, utilizing proven change management principles. Improve the student experience from entry to completion. Increase the adoption of Navigate and other key student success technology tools across the advising community and other key stakeholders on campus. Work with key stakeholders in academic affairs to align College goals and initiatives pertaining to retention and graduation rates with advising priorities and processes. Collaborate with Enrollment Services, Admissions, Student Life, Academic departments and other stakeholders to develop, analyze and report relevant advising data. Develop and share strategic communications with key stakeholders related to advising. Plan, attend and/or represent the College in meetings related to advising initiatives, both on and off campus. Create professional development opportunities and regular convenings for the advising community. Foster a culture of completion in work with all stakeholders. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Manage advising operations by providing guidance, continuous coaching, and feedback to Managers/Assistant Directors and Advisors in their day-to-day activities
- Develop the team to provide best-in-class service using the Appreciative Advising Framework
- Ensure conversations and written communication are compliant and provides coaching and feedback by conducting observations to improve all student interactions
- Conduct documented bi-weekly performance coaching session with each direct report
- Develop and facilitate training for team to support special project initiatives and pilot projects to improve operational efficiencies and overall enrollment growth
- Develop and facilitate leadership training and development for new and current assistant directors/campus managers of academic advising
- Develop, communicates and executes operational strategies to set and achieve team and unit goals on a daily, weekly, and/or monthly basis to ensure retention targets are met
- Review, leverage, and interpret data to meet established standards in service levels, staff productivity, and quality assurance
- Manage and execute student outreach and campaign efforts to achieve student growth and retention targets
- Create and foster a team environment where staff members are encouraged to develop and grow by being given opportunities for training, event coordination, project management, data analysis, or other areas of expertise
- Provide content knowledge, staffing, training and resources for special projects and pilot retention initiatives geared toward enhancing outcomes and the student experience
- Partner with the Student Affairs leadership team to develop and execute change management and process redesign initiatives that will lead to operational efficiencies
- Plan, lead, and provide guidance on human resource activities, such as hiring, performance evaluations, disciplinary actions, and other staff-related concerns. This includes conducting performance evaluations for direct reports
- In collaboration with the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, oversee the staffing, planning and execution of student-facing events, virtual and/or onsite open house events, information sessions, webinars, and other events as requested to offer guidance to students
- Perform other job-related duties, as assigned
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher learning and a minimum of five (5) years of relevant work experience
- 3+ years’ experience in advising leadership
- 5+ years of management experience
Experience in advising Leadership and Management experience.
Special Instructions to Applicants