Position TitlePublic Relations Coordinator
Internal Position TitlePublic Relations Coordinator
DepartmentPublic Relations & Marketing
College of Lake County is looking for a Public Relations Coordinator. This position is responsible for creating high-quality marketing content that engages the community, showcases student, alumni and faculty success and ultimately contributes to enrollment and retention efforts. Primary content projects include multimedia storytelling, engaging newsletters, user-friendly and accessible website content, informational news releases, plus copy writing for digital and print advertising.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 13 paid holidays each year.
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
1. A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or a related field.
2. Minimum of 2 years relevant full-time experience in journalism, media relations or publications development.
3. Outstanding writing and editing experience required.
4. Has worked with media and knows what they want.
5. Experience working with top-tier and niche media and influential bloggers.
6. Strong relationship building skills.
7. A good listener, collaborator and influencer.
8. Be self-starter and have sense of urgency around work.
9. Skilled at managing multiple projects and deadlines.
10. Strong organizational, prioritization and time management skills.
11. Be comfortable taking usable photos/video for cross-team usage.
12. Have initiative to seek new opportunities and offer solutions.
13. Be able to translate your passion to internal stakeholders who may not understand why we don’t want a “grip and grin” photo and why we need credible news.
14. Can advocate for and teach faculty/staff about importance of quick responses to media inquiries.
15. Willing to learn PR best practices for non-profit higher education, achieving every ounce of earned media available.
16. Some weekend work and some flexibility in work hours required.
17. Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
1. Bilingual in Spanish and English.
Expected Start Date05/03/2021
Total Hours per week40
8 a .m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays; some nights and weekends
Software Testing RequiredNone
Interview Process RequirementsWriting Samples, Portfolio
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
o Write concise, persuasive and high-quality content that fosters storytelling of CLC to internal and external audiences for website, media, emails, social and print materials
o Comfortably interview all ages of students, faculty and alumni to uncover stories from internal stakeholders and translate them for consumer-friendly external audiences
o Develop story angles, pitch strategies, messages, interview briefs and thought leadership pieces
o Compile and manage editorial calendars
Helping with Media Relations 20%
o Research, pitch and foster ongoing relationships with broadcast, print and online media outlets
o Identify, help train and prepare approved spokespeople for media interviews
College Communications 20%
o Maintain public relations website with newsroom updates and media clips
o Help manage, analyze and report analytics on content to prove ROI
o Manage crisis and issue-based internal and external communications efforts
Other duties as assigned 10%