As the Vice President, Chief Innovation Officer you play an integral role in transforming the way SCL Health does business and delivers care by leveraging innovation and other disruptive business and clinical models, preparing the ministry for the future while bridging current priorities and initiatives. Reporting directly to our EVP, Chief Growth and Strategy Officer, you will work in partnership with our senior health system leadership and partner cross-functionally with operations, information technology and other parts of the organization in a highly-matrixed environment. As a servant leader you embody the SCL Health leadership behaviors:
- Accountability for results
- Engagement and enthusiasm for change
- Adaptability and continuous learning
- Trust, respect and collaboration
- Transparency and candor
- Efficient, data-driven decision-making
- Urgency and follow-through
SCL Health is a faith-based, nonprofit healthcare organization dedicated to improving the health of the people and communities we serve, especially those who are poor and vulnerable. Founded by the Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth in 1864, our $2.6 billion health network provides comprehensive, coordinated care through 8 hospitals, more than 100 physician clinics, and home health, hospice, mental health and safety-net services primarily in Colorado and Montana. We relentlessly focus on delivering safe, high-quality, effective care to every patient, every time, everywhere.
Benefits are one of the ways we encourage health for you and your family. Our generous package includes medical, dental and vision coverage. But health is more than a well-working body: it encompasses body, mind and social well-being. To that end, we’ve launched a Healthy Living program to address your holistic health. Healthy Living includes financial incentives, digital tools, tobacco cessation, classes, counseling and paid time off.
As an Executive, you would receive additional benefits including two times salary basic life insurance, as well as reimbursement for tuition, cell phone, professional dues and subscriptions. We also offer financial wellness tools, retirement savings and deferred compensation plans and an additional supplemental retirement plan for executives. To show our commitment to you and to assist with your transition into our organization, we will also offer a sign-on and retention bonus, student loan repayment, and relocation stipend and reimbursement when applicable.
With this position, you are eligible to participate in the At Risk Compensation (ARC) Plan. This plan enables SCL Health to provide leaders with an additional performance compensation opportunity. The ARC Award opportunities are calculated as a percentage of your base salary. Awards are paid out based on attainment of selected SCL Health Board-approved goals.
The Chief Innovation Officer is charged with leading an innovation program that is structured as an early adopter and incubator model piloting programs that will transition to operations when the initiative reaches maturity. The Innovation team will identify, initiate and deploy operational, clinical, and technology innovations, particularly those directly related to consumer access and experience, advances in medicine and value-based care delivery. The Chief Innovation Officer will represent SCL Health on the national stage through active involvement and speaking engagements with appropriate organizations and forums and internally will work closely with senior health system leadership and will regularly report out innovation program successes to the SCL Health Board of Directors. Regular engagement with key stakeholders across the system and community will be required to deliver direct-to-consumer opportunities and identify new streams of revenue in business-to-business arrangements. Other specific duties will include:
- Lead the identification, development and implementation of SCL Health innovation and other disruptive technology strategies including products, services and processes.
- Assess industry and community market trends, leading to the generation of innovative ideas.
- Recognize promising ideas and finds way to introduce them into the ministry’s future plans and discard ideas that are ineffective, costly or beyond the scope of the company’s mission or abilities to develop.
- Conduct due diligence on the capabilities of partners and evaluates the various alternatives for venture, adoption, and/or growth.
- Lead Innovation Steering Committee comprised of key stakeholders.
- Engage SCL Health system leadership, from executives to front line associates to vet and validate opportunity areas.
- Coordinate resources/cooperation across multiple functional areas so that innovative solutions can be implemented quickly and efficiently.
- Establish milestones/deadlines for smooth transition to operations teams when implementation of initiative is complete; ensure adherence to milestones/deadlines and alignment between internal stakeholders.
- Encourage creative thinking in team members and find ways to nurture innovative thinking across all areas of the ministry.
We expect excellence, which is why we require:
- Bachelor’s level degree, required.
- Master’s Degree in Healthcare Administration or MBA is preferred.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related executive level experience within the health care industry introducing and implementing innovative programs and services as well as operationalizing disruptive technologies. (Healthcare consulting experience may be applicable depending on level of project engagement.)