POSITION TITLE: Center Director
DEPARTMENT: Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center (Kroc Center Hawaii)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
CLASSIFICATION: Full Time, Salary
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Salvation Army is a branch of the Christian Church, and the ultimate goal of all programs is a spiritual, emotional and physical regeneration of all people.
MISSION STATEMENT: The Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian Church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.
KROC CENTER HAWAII VISION: Kroc Center Hawaii is a community center where families, individuals and relationships thrive in the name of Jesus.
The Center Director (CD) has the responsibility to successfully lead all areas of the daily operations of The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in Hawaii. In the absence of the Administrator, the CD has full and direct responsibility for any and all venues of Kroc Center operations and programs as assigned by the Administrator. The CD works collaboratively with the Administrator to advise and implement overall departmental and organizational goals, objectives, programs, procedures, and policies. The role of the CD is to provide a consistent executive and ministry-minded approach throughout all areas of the Kroc Center. The CD will have a deep commitment to the mission of The Salvation Army, which will be evident in her/his professional life and the manner in which she/he represents The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center in the community.
DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure compliance with TSA mission, policies, procedures and the center’s vision to optimize ministry, program and financial objectives and performance.
- Serve as part of the vision casting team for the Kroc Center and assist directors and managers in developing yearly goals for each department and the Kroc Center as a whole. Re-assess goals on an annual basis. Responsible to strengthen and maintain a work culture that results in the fulfillment of the goals and the overall mission of the Kroc Center.
- Direct supervision of the Assistant Center Director, Facilities Manager, Human Resources Manager, Sales & Events Manager, Kitchen Manager and Marketing Manager.
- Direct activities in the TSA Kroc Center Business, Facilities, Programs, and Human Resources departments to optimize operational efficiencies in collaboration with the Administrator.
- Develop and implement program plans and budgets alongside directors and managers.
- Maintain an operational standard of fiscally sound programs with an emphasis on year-end surplus.
- Review and make recommendations in hiring, discipline, review, rewarding and terminating of staff.
- Meet regularly with direct reports to ensure efficiency of staffing and offerings as well as assisting with department needs.
- Review and maintain compliance with facility safety and maintenance policies.
- Attend regularly scheduled meetings at Kroc Center Hawaii and initiate meetings with appropriate staff for the purpose of sharing and gathering appropriate information to ensure the fulfillment of Kroc Center’s overall proforma.
- Review all legal, insurance and property matters related to the safe operation with the Administrator, and in coordination with DHQ as needed.
- Meet regularly with the administrator, other directors and managers to make recommendations for repairs, remodeling, and replacement of facilities and equipment.
- Assist other directors and managers with all matters relating to Finance, including budgets, requisitions, proposals for purchase, property proposals and other matters needing approval of the Command Finance Council (CFC). Be available to offer support regarding any fiscal related matter concerning the business aspects of the Kroc Center.
- Assist the administrator with the development and maintenance of beneficial relationships with government, community and business leaders, funding agencies, and advisory groups, in coordination with DHQ.
- Responsible for corporate compliance, construction projects and special projects, including seasonal fundraising activities during Christmas such as the Red Kettle Campaign, Angel Tree, etc.
- Serve as the chief liaison with Divisional Headquarters regarding all business services for the Kroc Center, assuring collaborative support is provided to all managers and directors.
- Maintain inventory of equipment and supplies and submit purchasing requisitions as needed to meet operational needs following budgetary guidelines and procedures for procurement.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to generate, maintain & demonstrate a friendly, enthusiastic positive attitude.
- Respond professionally to requests and inquiries from guests, members and staff.
- Maintain an on-call presence for the Kroc Center at all times.
- Maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong motivational, management and leadership skills.
- Follow and ensure adherence to The Salvation Army Policies and Procedures.
- Maintain the Code of Ethics policy, which has been established for Kroc Center Hawaii.
- Maintain regular and punctual work attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field and 5-10 years of progressive supervisory experience in a community and ministry-focused field, and in organizations with multiple programs and a multi-task professional staff.
- Proven success as an executive director, business director, or upper management for a large church or organization.
- Strong motivational, management and leadership skills supervising multiple departments.
- Seasoned experience in coaching, mentoring and motivating groups and individuals. Ability to build, sustain and motivate a dynamic, effective and efficient team.
- Leadership skills, problem solving capabilities, and the ability to maintain a positive attitude at all times while interacting with employees, guests and the general public.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to carry out multiple tasks efficiently and accurately.
- Must have command of the English language and possess excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- Must be able to work independently with a problem solving approach.
- Possess demonstrated ability to develop and administer large, complex and multi-faceted budgets with a thorough understanding of cost-recovery and sustainable budget strategies.
- Must be self-motivated with the flexibility to work in a dynamic, fast paced environment that is customer service driven and outcome oriented.
- Must be a person of high integrity with the ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to effectively understand, reflect and communicate the Christian principle, mission, vision, goals and strengths of The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center.
Any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities will be accepted.
- 5 to 10 Years Experience with Salvation Army Programs or Operations
- Minimum of three years of experience working with Business and Nonprofit Programs on Oahu.
- Member of Kroc Church or uniform wearing Salvationist in good standing
- Familiarity with traditional Salvation Army programs at the Corps, Divisional, and Territorial levels
- Extensive experience with Kroc Center Projects at the Divisional and Territorial Level
- Involvement in Kroc Center Community Development with Steering Committee, TSA Advisory Board, Community and Business Stakeholders in the West Oahu Community
- Must have excellent customer service standards and skills, and excellent interpersonal and people management skills.
- Must have the ability to manage multiple projects and work with multiple departments to deliver expected project results.
- Must enjoy building relationships with individuals and display spiritual gifts of exhortation, hospitality and mercy.
- Dependability, including maintaining regular and punctual work attendance.
- Ability to handle security and crisis situations in a calm and effective manner.
- Ability to seek mentoring relationships and use it consistently.
- Ability to supervise staff and participants of varying education and cultures.
- Able to maintain a professional attitude and approach to problem solving.
- Has well-developed leadership skills with strong team orientation.
- Is able to recruit, coordinate and work with professionals, congregation members and a team of volunteers.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and maintain poise under pressure.
- Ability to maintain a self-motivated and self- directed schedule.
- Ability to take projects from beginning through completion.
- Must possess the self-discipline necessary to perform repetitive tasks without lowering quality of work.
- Able to work with limited supervision, and work in a team setting with other professionals.
- Exercise good judgment and comfortable taking initiative with projects.
The position requires a high degree of energy, physical fitness and endurance. Physical effort required for daily duties include lifting heavy weights, squatting, bending, reaching, spotting & prolonged standing and walking. Must be able to frequently lift and /or move up to 50 pounds.
The position requires sitting; climbing and/or balancing; stooping, kneeling, bending, stretching, crouching and/or crawling; standing; walking; manual dexterity and eye-hand coordination; use of vision; pushing/pulling/lifting/carrying 50-75 pounds and occasionally more than 75 pounds. This employee may also be required to work weekends and evenings.
The position requires talking to co-workers, clients, vendors; requires written communication to and from co-workers, clients, vendor; talking on the telephone; requires responding to written or verbal requests of co-workers, clients, and vendors; requires training/giving verbal and written instructions; requires receiving verbal and written instructions; requires writing/composing written language; requires reading; requires visiting/working at other worksites; requires communication via the latest technologies.
The position requires the ability to interact with co-workers and the public in a positive, professional manner in conformity with The Salvation Army Mission Statement. The position also requires the ability to work with people of diverse backgrounds and circumstances.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK ENVIRONMENT:
While performing the duties of this job, regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the environment is occasionally loud. Extended workdays are a frequent occurrence, as are weekends and holidays as needed to support the business.
Most work will be at The Salvation Army Kroc Center in Hawaii. There will also be times where this employee will be outdoors and travel to other TSA sites or off campus. Attendance at trainings and conferences, both in Hawaii and on the mainland, may be required. Extensive travel is possible, including air travel, driving long distances, night driving, overnight travel, and extended travel of three days or more.
CERTIFICATES & LICENSES
Current CPR and AED certificates may be acquired after employment.
The candidate chosen for this position must have a valid driver’s license and insured transportation.
The candidate chosen for this position will be required to pass a criminal history information check. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude employment. The circumstances involved in the conviction(s) will be considered.
The information in this job description indicates the general nature and level of work performed by an employee in this classification. It is not to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory, or all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications of employees assigned to this job. Management has the right to add to, revise, or delete information in this description. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position. Employee will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by management.