The WWF GEF International Waters Project “Blue Horizon: Ocean Relief through Seaweed Aquaculture” was approved by the GEF Council on December 11, 2020. (GEF Financing $6,000,000; Co-financing $37,660,000). The project will work at the global, regional and national level to strengthen and develop seaweed value chains. More specifically, the project will work in the coastal and marine ecosystems of Philippines and Viet Nam, where the potential for the expansion of seaweed aquaculture and seaweed aquaculture value chains exists.
The project objective to ‘create new sustainable seaweed value chains that will deliver ecosystem services and provide socioeconomic benefits’ will be delivered through the following four components: (1) Regional capacity building for seaweed aquaculture; (2) Enabling Environment for Seaweed Aquaculture in Philippines and Viet Nam; (3) Seaweed Value Chains (production + processing); and (4) Knowledge Management, M&E, and IW Learn.
The PIF is available at https://wwfgef.org/gef/portfolios/ocean-relief-through-seaweed-aquaculture/
Objective for this Role
The Community Engagement and Gender Specialist will lead community engagement and consultation for the project in Philippines, and on gender mainstreaming opportunities, for target communities (shortlisted target sites include Balabac in southern Palawan, Malampaya and Taytay in Northeastern Palawan, Zamboanga in Mindanao). The Specialist will deliver a gender analysis and Action plan, consultation reports, and national input to the project Stakeholder Engagement Plan. S/he will be an expert in community engagement and gender, and have experience working with local and indigenous/ethnic communities.
The consultant(s) will be home-based, with visits to target communities (depending on COVID). The consultant(s) is expected to undertake the following tasks:
- Review and provide input to the Blue Horizon GEF Project Document and accompanying documentation (Request for CEO Endorsement document, Results Framework and GEF core indicators, and other requested materials);
- Coordinate closely with the Project Development Team (PDT), taking guidance from the lead consultant;
- Provide input into site selection criteria, process, and information on the selected sites;
- Provide inputs for the development of practical and achievable project targets for the Results Framework, and identification of clear baselines.
- Undertake meaningful stakeholder consultations with target communities (i.e. the project beneficiary communities), with guidance from the national consultant, lead consultant, Project Development Team (PDT), and in compliance with WWF policies and guidelines. This is to scope out whether the communities are interested in engaging in the project overall, to solicit their feedback and information on key threats related to the project topic, barriers to achieving community-inclusive seaweed farming and value chains, and on the proposed project activities and whether they are locally appropriate, wanted, and viable. This information will be used to drive the project design process to ensure the project works with interested communities and develops a locally-appropriate strategy for implementation;
- Prepare a Stakeholder Analysis of consultations undertaken in project design and a Stakeholder Engagement Plan that defines the process, focus, and key groups to be included in the project’s ongoing stakeholder engagement for the implementation phase according to GEF and WWF standards and guidance and using WWF GEF templates, identifying stakeholder engagement mechanisms for the target communities.
- Gender Mainstreaming:
- Complete a gender analysis and develop a Gender Action Plan according to WWF and GEF standards and guidelines and using the WWF GEF templates, and work closely with the PDT to ensure its findings are meaningfully integrated into the project design by proactively seeking opportunities for gender inclusion and women’s empowerment in the project strategy and activities, and setting indicators and targets that will show project impact either in women’s empowerment specifically or as gender-disaggregated data in implementation;
- Ensure stakeholder consultations are done with a gender-sensitive approach and to proactively solicit women’s input and feedback in the process of project design consultations;
- Work with the team to ensure the gender action plan is integrated into the project strategy.
- Provide other inputs related to gender and community engagement as required.
Reporting and Coordination
A Project Development Team (PDT) will be established as a decision-making body and will ensure participation from key stakeholders for project development for the attainment of project goals and objectives. This role administratively reports to the WWF GEF Agency, with close coordination with the full PDT.
- Work plan and methodology
- Detailed community consultation reports, including consultation summaries, participation lists, and recommendations for inclusion in project strategy
- Report or revised project strategy to show entry points for gender and proactive women’s inclusion in the project activities
- Stakeholder Engagement Plan for target communities (to feed into overall project SEP)
- Gender Analysis and Gender Action Plan for Philippines elements of the project (to feed into overall project gender analysis and action plan)
Required experience and expertise of the consultant or consultancy team:
- At least five years experience in community development and gender analysis and mainstreaming, with experience in working with local and indigenous communities;
- Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, anthropology, or related field;
- Demonstrated understanding of the national legal and institutional context related to local and indigenous communities;
- Excellent verbal communication and writing skills in local language and English;
- Available for 2-3 field visits - depending on COVID-19 pandemic;
- Proven record of similar work in country;
- Knowledge of Seaweed value chains preferred;
- Able to collaborate with project development partners and take guidance and feedback from the WWF GEF Agency and Lead Consultant(s).
Please submit an individual CV (or team, if linked to the position of National Project Development Consultant), financial proposal, and a brief (1-2 pages) letter of interest that highlights relevant skills and experience to email@example.com
Application Deadline: April 19th, 2021
This position is for a consultant based in Philippines.
This position is linked to National Project Development Consultant and we encourage consultancy teams to apply to undertake both TORs: https://careers-wwfus.icims.com/jobs/2806/job