Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 90 countries on average, including the United States with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies and emergency aid. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit www.americares.org.
Americares programs help communities prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters; increase access to critical medicine and medical supplies; improve and expand clinical services; and prevent disease and promote good health in vulnerable communities.
Americares is seeking an experienced Consultant to develop training content to prepare safety net health centers to care for patients with non-communicable diseases (or chronic conditions) in the event of a disaster. Preparedness training and tools will be designed to provide continuity of care for and reduce disaster related risks for patients with chronic disease. The Consultant will incorporate information from available research and survey data from patients and healthcare professionals at safety net health centers into a comprehensive toolkit of actionable information, training, templates, and checklists that safety net health centers can incorporate into their emergency planning and policies. The toolkit will be accompanied by training materials that will be presented to health center staff lasting no more than 5 hours and involving templates or planning documents that will be individually customized during the training.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and develop a comprehensive toolkit, training and resources for safety net health centers to enhance preparedness of patients with chronic conditions.
- Incorporate results from research and survey data, including needs and expectations patients have of their health center during and after disasters, into toolkit and training content.
- Work closely with Americares staff to ensure the toolkit meets Americares standards and is suitable for safety net health center needs.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience developing content for adult learning and interactive training.
- Experience in disaster preparedness in a healthcare setting.
- Understanding of safety net health center capabilities and needs.
- CEM, CBCP, CBCI or related certifications an advantage.
- Experience conducting preparedness or disaster risk reduction work in the US or internationally.
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in Spanish preferred.
- Able to operate independently and as part of a remote team.
- Able to meet deadlines and incorporate feedback.