At the American Cancer Society, we're leading the fight for a world without cancer. Our employees and 1.5 million volunteers are raising the bar every single day. We actively seek candidates from diverse backgrounds including communities of color, the LGBTQ community, veterans, and people with disabilities. The greater the diversity of our people, the better we can serve our communities.
The people who work at the American Cancer Society focus their diverse talents on our lifesaving mission. It is a calling. And the people who answer it are fulfilled.
*Final position title is subject to candidate's qualifications*
Collaborate with colleagues in the Department to contribute to the scientific literature. Provide analytical support to Scientific Director of Risk Factors & Screening Research and Sr. Vice President of Surveillance & Health Equity Science. Assist with Facts & Figures publications, provide risk factors and screening data to ACS staff at Corporate Center & Divisions. The candidate will have the opportunity and the support to write first author scientific papers.
- Conduct comprehensive literature reviews and analyze surveillance data from various public-use databases (including the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, Youth Risk Behavior Survey, National Health Interview Survey, National Health and Nutrition Examinations Survey, Cancer registries) as well as medical claims data to meet various cancer surveillance and screening activities including research projects for the peer-review literature.
- Collaborate with colleagues on cancer screening, surveillance, and social determinants of health research projects to contribute to scientific literature.
- Ensure the accuracy and consistency of data presented in Facts & Figures Publication (e.g., proofreading text and data checking).
- Respond to requests for risk factors and screening data from ACS staff, media, and the general public.
- Write, test, and submit computer programs in SAS, SUDAAN, and SEER*Stat to operate in a variety of computer environments (e.g. PC and local mainframe). Efficient, logical, pre-tested programs are essential in large databases.
- Prepare tables and figures for scientific presentations using EXCEL, PowerPoint and/or Origin Lab.
- Document analytic programs and results in an organized, dated, and clearly labeled form for future reference.
- Proofread reports for publication and presentation at professional meetings.
- Co-author or author papers for publications in scientific journals.
- Master’s degree or equivalent amount of experience and education in Public Health, Statistics, or Epidemiology.
- Two year experience in statistical, medical, or biologic research.
Demonstrates Intramural Research Competencies:
- Action oriented
- Communicates effectively
- Drives results
- Manages complexity
- Builds networks
- Cultivates innovation
- Optimizes work processes
- Manages ambiguity
- Working familiarity with SAS. Knowledge of basic statistics with good quantitative skills.
- PREFERRED: Experience in analysis of survey data using SUDAAN; background in cancer epidemiology.
- Familiarity with fundamental principles of biology and health.
- Familiarity with large database (NHIS, BRFSS, SEER, etc).
- Good communication skills. Attention to detail with numbers and calculations.
ACS provides staff a generous paid time off policy; medical, dental, retirement benefits, wellness programs, and professional development programs to enhance staff skills. Further details on our benefits can be found on our careers site at: jobs.cancer.org/benefits. We are a proud equal opportunity employer.