Principal Investigator: Erwin G. Van Meir, PhD, Professor, Department of Neurosurgery; Associate Director, NCI-designated O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center; University of Alabama at Birmingham
New NIH-funded positions are available for ambitious and outstanding postdocs to participate in studies of molecular mechanisms and therapy development for cancer. Fellows are expected to be independent, capable of leading their own research projects and be in charge of all aspects of their project from conception, data generation and analysis to grant submissions and preparation of scientific publications under the guidance of the PI.
Available projects include:
- Role of adhesion GPCR receptors ADGRB1/3 in brain tumor formation
- Defining the mechanisms of new small molecule anti-cancer therapeutics
- Mechanisms of cancer resistance to therapy
The laboratory has an established track record of translational research in the field of cancer and applicants can access the PIs google scholar profile to familiarize themselves with the lab’s research: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=zulNnq0AAAAJ&hl=en.
The laboratory is located in the NCI-designated O’Neal Comprehensive Cancer Center (https://www.uab.edu/onealcancercenter/ ), which provides an outstanding and stimulating scientific environment with multiple supportive core facilities and shared resources. UAB is one of the nation’s leading cancer research and treatment centers and is committed to the development and success of outstanding postdoctoral scientists. The Office of Postdoctoral Education (OPE) at UAB provides mentoring and career guidance and postdocs benefit from a faculty mentoring committee that guides their training and progress. Postdoctoral scholars qualify for UAB sponsored benefits, including health, life, and other insurances.
- Candidates should have a Ph.D. or equivalent in the biomedical sciences (molecular biology, biochemistry, cancer biology, drug discovery and related disciplines)
- Mastery of oral and written English
- Hold a valid working permit
- Prior experience with animal models of cancer and bioinformatics are an advantage
The initial appointment is set for 12 months, followed by annual renewal based on mutual agreement. Salary is commensurate with experience and Institutional guidelines.
The application should include:
- A current CV with names and contact information of three references
- A brief statement of career goals, research background and interests
Interested applicants should send application materials to:
Erwin G. Van Meir
UAB is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Candidates from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.