Position TitleGraphic Designer
Internal Position TitleGraphic Designer
DepartmentPublic Relations & Marketing
Under the supervision of the Senior Graphic Designer, the Graphic Designer develops and produces graphic elements of integrated marketing campaigns and publications consistent with the College of Lake County (CLC) brand and in accordance with CLC identity standards. Provides creative direction to assigned accounts and assists the Senior Graphic Designer with design leadership. Works with printers to ensure high-quality printing within time and budget constraints. Researches and keeps current on all industry technology advancements. Also be responsible for assisting with special areas such as web design including motion graphics, digital ad creation and video asset production.
CLC offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits that currently includes BlueCross/BlueShield of Illinois health, Delta dental and Superior vision insurance plans, tuition support for employees and qualified family members, three retirement plans, disability, group and supplemental life insurance, health and dependent care flexible spending account plans, a four-day work week in the summer (Fridays off!), generous vacation, sick and personal time off and 13 paid holidays each year.
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
1. A Bachelor’s Degree in graphic design or visual communications or a related field.
2. A minimum of two years of relevant work experience.
3. Extensive experience in appropriate software and production capabilities. Must have a strong working knowledge and ability in the following graphic design software programs: Adobe Creative Suite, HTML, XML, CSS, Zmag, Digital Storage Manager and Virtual Ticket job tracking system.
4. Knowledge of and/or experience in responsive web design.
5. Experience in Web/SEO/email marketing/animation.
6. Possess excellent production skills, strong conceptual skills and high-level sense of design, layout and typography.
7. Demonstrated experience as a broad thinker who is able to offer a variety of design solutions and has experience.
8. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
9. Demonstrated success with tight deadlines, working both independently and in a team environment.
10. Strong creative, organizational, problem solving and time-management skills.
11. Demonstrated meticulous attention to detail in all work assignments.
12. Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
1. Bilingual in Spanish and English
Expected Start Date05/24/2021
Special Instructions Summary
Applicants will be required to submit links to their professional work and highlight some of those initiatives if selected for an interview.
Total Hours per week40.00
Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
some evening and weekend work
Software Testing RequiredNone
Interview Process RequirementsPortfolio
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Project Leadership 35%
1. Develops creative concepts consistent with image identity standards established by the Public Relations and Marketing Department. Effectively manages multiple projects/tasks of varying complexities, meets deadlines and works well under pressure.
2. Produces, from concept through completion, integrated marketing campaign elements and publications for print, web, online marketing, video and social media. Prepares and adapts digital assets for use on website and e-newsletters.
3. Researches and recommends print and production vendors when needed. Assists with interfacing with printers and other media vendors to request quotes, schedule printing and attend press checks for individual printed materials, under the direction of the Senior Graphic Designer.
4. Works in conjunction with Web team to create superior, original designs for the Web. Possesses a strong design style, including creating design solutions within the constraints of the Internet.
5. Schedules and art directs photo shoots for assigned projects with outside professionals.
6. May photograph campus employees, student body and events; prepares/edits photos for use in print, web and social media.
Strategic Planning and Leadership 35%
1. Assists the Senior Graphic Designer in art directing the work of other department informal designers who may be using a template process for creation.
2. Makes procedural decisions in absence of Senior Graphic Designer.
3. Provides leadership in collaboration with Senior Graphic Designer for development and management of the college’s graphic identity and visual brand. Possess a solid understanding of client deliverables, and the ability to take responsibility for them.
4. Maintains up-to-date knowledge and understanding of industry standards, technological advancements with regard to computer system hardware, software, production, printing processes, proofing processes, digital photography, etc.
5. Research and recommend appropriate technological advancements in regard to the Graphic Design industry.
Student and Customer Service 25%
1. Collaborates with clients and other members of the Public Relations and Marketing team to deliver graphic services that meet time, cost, quality, and strategic parameters.
2. Schedules and art directs photo shoots for assigned projects with outside professionals.
3. Operates desktop publishing equipment and all current industry software as well as the College’s job tracking and file transfer programs. Must have thorough understanding of Macintosh Operating System.
4. Helps direct outside freelance work and agencies as needed.
5. Upholds output and quality standards of all digital files released for production.
6. Assists with tracking of jobs, including meeting all internal and external project deadlines.
1. Performs related duties as assigned.