Job TitleDirector of Counseling - 1.0 FTE - 12 MONTH - CATEGORICALLY FUNDED – POSITION CONTINGENT UPON CONTINUED FUNDING AND BOARD APPROVAL
LocationYuba College - Marysville, CA.
CATEGORICALLY FUNDED – POSITION CONTINGENT UPON CONTINUED FUNDING AND BOARD APPROVAL
Yuba College is seeking an equity-minded, dynamic, collaborative, and innovative employee to serve as the Director of Counseling.
BASIC FUNCTION: Under the direction of the Vice President of Student Services is responsible for providing leadership in the Counseling department, work with administrators, faculty and staff to formulate policies for designated programs; determine goals and objectives to support quality instruction and services; provide leadership for support services and articulate and implement an overall vision within the College’s strategic plan; assume responsibility for making decisions necessary for the effective operation of student support programs and services; and represent the unit to other segments of the College’s internal and external community.
Essential Duties Summary
REQUIRED ESSENTIAL DUTIES:
• Supervise the Yuba College Counseling Department, overseeing faculty and staff evaluations and managing the counseling department budget.
• Interpret and implement federal and state regulations governing matriculation service delivery, including orientation, counseling, and dual enrollment.
• Provide technical expertise regarding assigned functions; formulate, develop, and enforce policies, procedures, and forms for use by the Counseling
•Coordinate and evaluate Program Review, Student Learning Outcomes, Academic Planning, Accreditation, and Budget Development processes associated with assigned departments and areas.
•Provide leadership for the development and improvement of programs and services, encouraging innovative strategies and systems for effective service delivery.
•Administer categorical programs in accordance with federal, state, and institutional policies and procedures; prepare and recommend budgets for assigned areas and monitor expenditures.
•Develop and recommend the annual budget for the Counseling Department, and Transfer and Career Services.
•Oversee daily department and office operations for compliance and practical applications of the Counseling Department and Career and Transfer Services.
•Provide leadership in the ongoing development and implementation of the Yuba College Student Equity and Achievement Plan formerly the Student Success and Support Plan.
•Participate in cooperative agreements and programs with other educational institutions, business and industry, and community-based organizations.
•Serve as the representative of counseling concerns and needs and communicate both individual and collective concerns to the Vice President of Student Services.
•Participate as a regular member of the management group, attending and chairing committees and councils as assigned.
•Responsible for coordination and implementation of advisement, and follow-up counseling with students having academic problems, lacking educational objectives, or on academic or progress probation.
• Provide leadership in the coordination of articulation function on a college- wide basis.
•Plan and coordinate provision of matriculation services in support of dual enrollment, ESL, and Adult Education program delivery.
•Prepare and submit to the matriculation services and programs segment of the college catalog and schedule of classes.
•Conduct in-service training for counselors and counseling, career and transfer staff.
•Supports the implementation of technology in Student Services.
•Ensure preparation and delivery of the following:
1) Orientation, transfer, career, graduation, and academic probation/dismissal workshops.
2) Guidance courses;
3) Small and large group advising/counseling;
4) Accurate and updated matriculation and counseling information for the Schedule of Classes and College Catalog.
• Conduct studies to evaluate existing counseling services in order to recommend retention, modification, and/or
implementation of new services.
• Manage day to day operations of the Counseling Department, and Career and Transfer Services.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
• Organizational and management practices
• Supervision principles
• Planning and budgeting processes.
• Oral and written communication skills, including persuasive communication and public speaking.
• District organization, operations and objectives.
• Electronic and print research resources relative to educational research.
•Establish and maintain effective educational and planning partnerships.
• Develop and maintain positive relationships with community leaders, business and industry, labor and local and state officials, regional K-12 school districts, and other institutions of higher education.
• Work collegially and collaboratively with diverse constituencies, both internal and external.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Be a strong and articulate proponent of higher education.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: The successful candidate, by the final filing date, must possess the minimum qualifications for Educational Administrators at California Community Colleges:
(All degrees and units used to satisfy minimum qualifications must be from accredited institutions).
• Possession of a Master’s degree; AND
• One year of formal training, internship, or leadership experience reasonably related to the administrator’s administrative assignment.
• Experience in academic planning, program development and supervision.
• Teaching experience in higher education.
Range/StepRange 34, Management Salary Schedule
Salary Range$91,620/YR - $106,284/YR.
BENEFITS/SALARY: The District offers a comprehensive benefits package for employees and dependent, valued at over $24,273 annually with currently no out of pocket expenses to employees or dependents for monthly premiums.
The package includes health, dental, vision, two (2) life insurance policies and an Employee Assistance program. Additional benefits include contributions to the State Teacher’s Retirement System (STRS) or the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), 457/403b options, 12 sick days, 22 vacation days, 19 holidays, 223 day/12 month contract.
The Yuba Community College District spans eight counties and nearly 4,200 square miles of territory in rural, north-central California. It has colleges in Marysville and Woodland, along with educational centers and outreach operations at Beale Air Force Base, Clearlake, Yuba City, and in Williams. For more information about YCCD please visit the website at www.yccd.edu
The vision of the Yuba Community College District Board of Trustees is to ensure student success by:
• Providing an innovative and world-class learning environment;
• Building and maintaining an atmosphere of trust within the college district and with our communities;
• Developing and maintaining programs and facilities that best meet the needs of our students and communities;
• Stewarding resources strategically to meet the diverse needs of our communities and region;
• Providing educational, economic, cultural, and civic leadership for our communities and region.
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, the Yuba Community College District is committed to creating an inclusive and effective learning and working environment for all.
Yuba Community College District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and guarantees equal opportunity regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, gender, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age or sexual orientation and does not discriminate in its educational programs, in employment nor in any other of its activities.
Internal vs. ExternalExternal
Review Start Date04/16/2021
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
A complete application includes the following: Management Application, Resume, Transcripts, Equal Employment Opportunity statement (attached in a Word document or PDF) and a Cover letter/letter of interest that addresses the required Leadership and Management Competencies, specifically how your experience and professional qualifications have prepared you to serve in this capacity, not to exceed 5 pages. All application materials must be received no later than the first review date of the applications.