CLA is hiring a full-time Controller to join our Nonprofit Outsourcing practice in our Boston, MA office.
As a key member of our Outsourcing team, the Controller provides high-level accounting services to CLA nonprofit clients in the Greater Boston Metro area. S/he is accountable for identifying and implementing best practices and adding value through the consistent delivery of high-quality work to multiple clients. The Controller maintains a deep understanding of the financial and operational aspects of the nonprofit sector and GAAP (FASB/SFAS) standards.
In a full-time role reporting to a CLA CFO, Outsourcing Principal and/or client CFO, the Controller shows excellent technical ability and a high degree of passion for doing impactful work. S/he also shows the accountability for actions and integrity that places honesty, trust, professionalism and conscientiousness above all else.
- Monitor, coordinate and direct the quality and accuracy of work performed by accounting staff (client and/or internal), recommending and implementing actions as appropriate.
- Develop, implement and monitor internal control policies, guidelines and accounting procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of regulatory requirements and provide guidance on client’s organizational policies and procedures.
- Direct preparation of financial statements, business activity reports, financial position forecasts and reports required by regulatory agencies.
- Analyze and interpret financial information for clients; monitor and make recommendations as appropriate.
- Coordinate and direct client budgeting process.
- Coordinate audit process and completion of deliverables, including annual tax returns and financial information.
- Monitor financial record keeping to meet both client, audit and CLA internal quality needs.
- Perform and direct best practices throughout client assignments.
- Monitor and direct efficiencies and areas of improvement in scope and process at all clients.
- Full knowledge of GAAP (FASB/SFAS) accounting standards.
- Deep knowledge of government (state and federal) policies and directives impacting the nonprofit sector and monitor impact on client operations.
- Maintains a thorough working knowledge of accounting software packages.
- Fully utilizes internal CPE learning opportunities to up-to-date technical knowledge.
The Controller reports directly to the CLA CFO and/or Outsourcing Principal in charge of client relationships and regularly interacts with other functional groups within CLA. S/he supervises accounting services staff which may include CLA accounting services staff, client accounting services staff, or both.
CPA preferred but not required.
- Eight years relative work experience as a Senior Accountant, Assistant Controller, Controller, or equivalent.
- Education: BA/BS degree in accounting or related field required.
- Nonprofit accounting experience is highly preferred but not required.
- Prior consulting and experience working with multiple clients is preferred.
- People management experience preferred.
- Proficiency and aptitude for applicable software (Microsoft Excel, Accounting Software, etc.).
CLA exists to create opportunities for our people, our clients, and our communities. We are a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability status, protected veteran status, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.