Microbiology, Faculty, Tenure Track
Mathematics and Science
Salary is based on education and experience (CBA with Pay Matrix), full-time, benefit eligible
Generous Benefits includes:
- Health/Vision, Dental, Life/ADD & Long-term Disability Insurance: Generous Employer contribution toward the cost of this benefit
- Sick and Personal Leaves
- Retirement: Montana Teachers Retirement System, and 403(b): Employer match up to 7%
- Tuition Waiver: Employee and two legal dependents
Open Until Filled; however, first review of application materials is February 8, 2021
Flathead Valley Community College is an outstanding public community college located on a beautiful campus in Kalispell, Montana, with panoramic views of the northern Rocky Mountains and Glacier National Park. Our vision is to improve lives through learning, and the trustees, faculty and staff are dedicated to values that foster and preserve the spirit of our college and promote and support the well-being and economic development of the communities we serve. Anticipated start date of August 2021.
- Teaches and conveys knowledge of related microbiology courses at freshman and sophomore levels in an effective manner for successful student learning outcomes
- Assists with the development and revision of curriculum and integrates subject area with other related curricula
- Works professionally with college faculty and staff to aid with the educational process and fulfills all academic responsibilities
- Teaches content material using a variety of instructional methods to facilitate student learning
- Utilizes emerging technology in the microbiology areas
- Facilitates distance education courses such as online, hybrid and ITV
- Maintains and submits instructional records in accordance with requirements and participates in assessment activities
- Advises students according to established guidelines
- Serves as an ambassador for the College and fosters positive student and community relations
- Facilitates the hiring of adjunct faculty
- Attends meetings and participates in student and/or program assessment as directed
- Maintains professional ethics and confidentiality of students in accordance with applicable laws and policies
- Advances the mission of FVCC by serving on committees and contributing in the community in college-related activities
- Remains current in practices, trends and research related to areas of assignment
- Creates and maintains a collaborative and collegial environment with colleagues and maintains effective working relationships
- Actively participates in the development of a climate that promotes and supports innovation and efforts to continuously improve services to students, faculty, and the College
- Reports to the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Microbiology or in closely related field; AND,
- A minimum of one-year of post-secondary teaching experience in an accredited institution in all aspects of college microbiology curriculum
- Ph.D. in closely related field
- Three years of experience working in the microbiology fields
- Experience in differentiated instruction for diverse student populations
- Experience working with instructional technology and/or distance education courses
- Ability to teach all aspects of microbiology with a strong emphasis in biotechnology, medical microbiology, and cellular and molecular biology
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to effectively teach content material in using a variety of instructional methods to facilitate student learning
- Ability and willingness to serve as a representative for the College by interacting appropriately with the community
- Ability to work within policies and procedures of FVCC
- Ability to maintain effective and positive professional relationships
- Ability to follow and issue instructions
- Ability to create and maintain a collaborative and collegial environment with colleagues and maintain effective working relationships, and foster positive student and community relations
- Demonstrated communication, project management, presentation, educational service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively with people from a variety of culturally diverse backgrounds
- Ability to work non-traditional schedules, including evenings and weekends to meet student needs
- Ability to maintain regular and acceptable attendance levels
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Ability to pass a criminal background check
- Ability to respond in the event of an emergency
- Ability to perform a Medium Duty job, according to the Selected Characteristics of Occupations Defined in the Revised Dictionary of Occupational Titles, U.S. Department of Labor and Industry. Medium Duty involves exertion of 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds continuously to move objects.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must apply online at www.fvcc.edu/jobs; paper submission of applications or resume materials are not accepted. FVCC does not retain application materials for future consideration.
Additionally, applicants are required to submit the following documents by uploading them to the online application (NOTE: FVCC's applicant tracking system will time-out after 45 minutes of inactivity. Please have your documents ready to upload before you click the Apply button.) :
- Letter of application indicating how you meet the minimum qualifications and detail your work experience as it relates to the position's Knowledge, Skills and Abilities; AND
- A current, comprehensive resume or CV; AND
- Unofficial transcripts for ALL degrees held - if more than one transcript, combine and upload as one document. (As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will submit official transcripts for all degrees held to FVCC HR prior to hiring. Only transcripts from accredited institutions will be accepted.), AND
- Three professional references, with complete contact information, must be provided on the application form. Professional references must be individuals most familiar with applicant's work experience, skills, and work behaviors and supervisory experience. Do not list family and friends for professional references.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION: FVCC is an equal opportunity employer and affirmative action organization. It is FVCC's policy that all individuals are entitled to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, creed, political ideas, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran’s status, service in the uniformed services as defined by state and federal law, physical or mental disability, national origin or ancestry except as authorized by law. These protections extend to all management practices and decisions, including recruitment and hiring practices, appraisal systems, promotions, and training and career development programs, as required by federal and state laws.
EMPLOYMENT SPONSORSHIP: FVCC is not able to sponsor individuals seeking employment. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire.
EMPLOYMENT VERIFICATION'S, REFERENCE CHECKS, AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECKS: Prior to any offers of employment, FVCC conducts thorough employment verifications and reference checks and may contact organizations and individuals not listed on an applicant's application or resume. Additionally, FVCC conducts post-offer criminal background checks.
FVCC BOARD POLICY: The FVCC Board Policy Manual is available to review at: https://www.fvcc.edu/about-fvcc/board-of-trustees/fvcc-board-policy
REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES: FVCC provides reasonable accommodations upon request to qualified individuals with disabilities during all phases of employment including the application and selection process. No applicant will be penalized as a result of such a request.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE ACT: Preference applies in hiring and provides a uniform method by which special consideration is given to qualified Veterans. Veterans’ Preference laws do not, however, guarantee Veterans a job, nor do they give Veterans’ preference in internal actions such as promotion, transfer, reassignment, and reinstatement. I understand that applying for a preference is voluntary and that all information related to a preference is confidential and used only during the hiring process; the information will be maintained in a separate confidential file. To claim Veterans' Preference, you must complete the Veterans' Preference Form (form is available at: https://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf) and email it along with document(s) that verify your eligibility for employment preference to Jobs@fvcc.edu. Claims for Veterans' preference must be received by Human Resources prior to position closing date.
WINDFALL ELIMINATION PROVISION: Based on the Windfall Elimination Provision, I understand my employment may not be covered by Social Security. To learn more about the Windfall Elimination Provision click https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf.