The Step Up Suncoast Board of Directors has accepted the retirement announcement from our current President & CEO. We seek a Chief Executive Officer to lead our dedicated Board and staff in achieving our vision for the community.
Step Up Suncoast was incorporated in 1968 as a non-profit corporation under Florida law and was designated by the Governor as the community action agency for its service area.
Our annual budget is $20,000,000, and we employ 250 staff members. Our main office is located in Sarasota, FL. We are a member of the National Community Action Network and
The Florida Community Action Network as well.
With a budget of just over $20 million, our work allows us to assist low-income families with crisis services and various programs centered around early childhood development.
We assist low-income families in Manatee, Hardee, DeSoto, Sarasota, and Charlotte Counties with services ranging from Head Start/Early Head Start to various home visiting programs and other emergency direct client services. To learn more about Step Up Suncoast, please visit www.stepupsuncoast.org.
Thriving communities with improved quality of life for current and future generations.
Empowers individuals and families to achieve long-term economic stability through education, support services, and community partnerships.
Our Core Values
Honesty. Integrity. Responsibility. Respect
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION
This position is responsible for overall leadership and agency administration.
Step Up Suncoast has benefited from strong, stable, committed leadership over the years.
The current CEO will be stepping away after 13 years with the agency on August 31, 2021.
She leaves behind a dedicated staff and six leadership team members with a combined 126 years of experience.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Our ideal candidate will be a robust and collaborative leader and have a passion for our mission, clients, and employees.
The candidate will be a strategic thinker, able to see the big picture while using their strengths to deepen the connection with the community, donors, and funders.
The candidate will have a strong financial management background and have a thorough understanding of complex budgets, multiple funding sources, and government grants.
The CEO will lead the strategic planning, financial management, and fundraising of Step Up Suncoast.
_Essential Functions: (Duties and Responsibilities) _
_ _ * Oversees the day-to-day operations of Step Up Suncoast.
- Oversees the finances of the organization.
- Keeps the Board of Directors informed of any changes in the status of programs.
- Ensures that all agency programs are meeting the needs of the community/clients while meeting the obligations of the funders.
- Oversees and participates in creating, executing, and evaluating all fundraising strategies to support programs and operations.
- Also engages in the solicitation of donations from foundations and major donors.
- Acts as steward of major gifts.
- Promotes strategic thinking related to fundraising with board members and staff.
- Communicates and clarifies the agency's vision, mission, outcomes, goals, and activities for board members, staff, and community members.
- Establishes and maintains collaborative relationships with community partners.
- Works with the Board Development Committee to recruit a diversified and motivated Board of Directors.
- Provides Board member orientation and on-going governance training.
- Actively participates in all Board Committees.
- Serves as the key liaison with local, state, and federal government agencies to advocate for resources to support our clients.
- Acts as spokesperson for the agency.
- Acts as spokesperson and advocate for poverty issues throughout the community.
- Serves as a critical partner to regional and national organizations working collaboratively to address issues of poverty.
- Working with the staff and Board of Directors establishes current and long-range goals, objectives, plans, and policies subject to approval by the Board of Directors.
- Implements the policies developed and adopted by the Board of Directors.
- Evaluates existing policies and services with specified goals and standards and recommend modifications where appropriate.
- Analyzes data to assess the effectiveness of current procedures and activities.
- Works with the leadership team to ensure the agency operates within specifications of all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
- Works with management to develop annual budgets. Monitors those budgets and revises them as necessary.
- Approves the work schedule and timesheets of assigned employees, including vacation, sick and personal hours.
- Conducts annual performance reviews of assigned employees.
- Conducts periodic leadership team and management team staff meetings.
- Meets with managers or staff to review client situations.
- Meets with managers to review employee issues and informs HR when necessary.
- Implements emergency procedures and decides on agency closings.
- Works with management and other staff to ensure all categories of the Organizational Standards developed by the Community Action Partnership are followed.
- Participates in agency activities as required.
- Performs other activities as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Preference for a degree in social services, social work, or business administration.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years of senior management experience with a not-for-profit.
- Preference for leadership experience in a community action organization.
- Must have a successful record of developing and monitoring various organizational budgets; analysis, presentation, and process integration of data; human services delivery and management systems; and public policies affecting low-income families.
- Certified Community Action Professional (CAAP) or other relevant professional credential preferred.
- Must attend training as required by funding sources; and other training necessary to fulfill the position’s requirements.
- Specific Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required: *
- Must have the ability to analyze situations, define solutions and options, make decisions and implement those decisions.
- Must have the ability to design and lead staff and community planning processes.
- Must have the ability to develop and monitor budgets.
- Must have the ability to develop strong partnerships in the community and with funders.
- Must have the ability to assess the effectiveness of services based on their outcomes and results.
- Must have the ability to motivate others positively.
- Must have the ability to negotiate contracts and monitor compliance with those contracts.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication.
- Must have effective presentation skills.
- Must have excellent organizational skills.
- Must have the ability to set and achieve short and long-range goals.
- Must be skilled in creating, implementing, and monitoring operational plans and procedures.
- Must be skilled in guiding a team of managers through systematic goal-setting and performance monitoring.
- Must be solution-oriented.
- Must have the ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Must be sensitive to the low-income community's needs and demonstrate culturally competent skills, including understanding the impact of poverty on families.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative, creative, problem-solving environment with a major emphasis on program outcomes.
_ _ * Must have a valid Florida Driver’s License.
- Must have reliable transportation for work-related travel, including nights and out of town.
- Must be insurable under Step Up Suncoast’s organizational policies.
- Pre-employment drug screening is required.
- Employment credit check required.
- Must pass a Level II criminal background check.
- Must agree to on-going random drug/alcohol screening.
- Physical Demands: *
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently must stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds.
- Work Environment: *
- The work site will include various settings based on work responsibilities, including a typical office setting, meeting rooms, Zoom or other video conferencing platforms, and different settings as needed to perform work responsibilities.
Expected hours of work:
- Hours of work and days are typically Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. It is occasionally necessary to attend other functions of the position or agency outside established hours.
- Local travel to agency meetings, training, and to give community presentations. Will be required to attend training required by funders, conferences, and other meetings outside the local area and overnight.
_Salary and Benefits: _
_ _ The starting salary is negotiable, commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Our benefits package includes health insurance, paid time off, and an 8% contribution to a 403B account after one year of service.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three professional references to Mary Hughes, Chief Human Resources Officer, Step Up Suncoast, Inc.
Review of applications will begin March 18 and will continue through March 26. With our current CEO's upcoming retirement in the summer of 2021, our goal is to welcome our new CEO in July. The position will remain open until filled.
Step Up Suncoast, Inc. provides its employees Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability (physical or mental), veteran status, pregnancy, marital status, medical condition, sexual orientation or any other status protected under federal and state laws as outlined in the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) regulations.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $165,000.00 - $175,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Leadership Experience: 5 years (Preferred)
Company's Facebook page:
- Remote interview process
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings