Position TitleOffice Associate*
Internal Position TitleOffice Associate*
Under the supervision of the Manager, the Office Associate performs clerical, student/client interaction, computer data input/output, and secretarial services, in support of the Judicial Services Department as appropriate. Judicial Services provides educational classes for clients of the 19th Circuit Court in Lake County. Judicial Services has performed this function via three Intergovernmental Agreements since 1991. Agreements include Driver Safety, Family Parenting and Probation Support Volunteers and encompass more than 15,000 customers annually.
The College of Lake County (CLC) is a comprehensive community college located in northeastern Illinois committed to being an innovative educational institution providing life-changing paths for our students by offering exceptional learning experiences.
The college is widely recognized for student success, business and community partnerships and for the achievements of our faculty, staff and alumni. Long-known as an employer of choice in Lake County, CLC was ranked #15 on the Forbes list of Top 100 Employers in the State of Illinois for 2019.
1. A high school diploma, or equivalent.
2. Previous office experience in an office support or customer service role with evidence of excellent problem-solving skills, good listening skills and patience and note taking.
3. Keyboarding skills.
4. Effective communication skills in English and Spanish.
5. Bilingual in English and Spanish.
6. Ability to effectively perform essential job function in a remote environment with limited supervision.
7. Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
8. Proven ability to work effectively and constructively with persons of diverse cultures, language groups, and abilities; demonstrate sensitivity to and ability to work with the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty, and staff, including those with disabilities; establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
1. Previous experience in or an understanding of the Criminal Justice system.
Expected Start Date04/26/2021
Special Instructions Summary
This position supports three, five-year Intergovernmental Agreements with the 19th Circuit Court of Lake County. The Agreements, expire in June 2024. The College of Lake County has supported the Court through these Agreements since 1991.
*This is a grant funded position; continued employment in this position is based on external funding sources.
Total Hours per week25.00
Monday – Friday, daily hours to be selected from 9:00a to 2:00p or 10:00a to 3:00p
Software Testing RequiredExcel, MS Word
Interview Process RequirementsBilingual Testing
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Summary of Essential Functions
Student/Customer Service: 85%
1. Answers phones and enrolls customers in classes.
2. Answers, screens and relays telephone calls and questions from the public and employees, explaining program rules, procedures and requirements, or referring questions and concerns as appropriate.
3. Examines and verifies court documents to ensure that clients are enrolled in the appropriate class.
4. Acts as the point of contact for all walk-in customers, taking payments and enrolling them in the correct classes.
Dept operations/processes: 10%
1. Prepares and/or composes basic and various correspondence, memos, certificates of completion, and reports.
2. Maintains office phone system by routinely checking and responding to voicemails, as well as updating the greeting message.
3. Provides periodic training and assistance to new employees regarding departmental policies and procedures.
1. Sorts and distributes mail for the department.
2. Performs other related duties as assigned.