Montgomery College is Maryland’s premier community college, serving more than 60,000 students each year through credit and noncredit programs. Montgomery College is one of Maryland’s most diverse community colleges, which includes more than 164 nations represented in our student body. Do you want to join us in our mission of providing an exceptional education and fostering student success? We are dedicated to providing an exceptional education for all of our students, and we recognize that our faculty and staff are integral to our continued success.
Part-time Faculty WDCE Coding Instructor
Job Description Summary
The Montgomery College, Rockville campus, is currently accepting applications for possible openings as a part-time faculty member teaching Coding classes. We are seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated teacher who exhibits a high degree of professionalism, a strong commitment to our students, and demonstrates the ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner.
The Montgomery College Information Technology Institute is hiring creative, enthusiastic, and responsible coding teachers and teaching assistants to join the Montgomery Can Code teaching team for the summer of 2021.
Montgomery Can Code is a summer program led by Montgomery College, Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS) and Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (MCEDC). The purpose of this initiative is to bring coding camp opportunities to County middle school students that will help them to learn coding skills using the interactive Swift Playgrounds for iPad. This year, the free, virtual week-long camp sessions will take place remotely July 12, 2021 - August 13, 2021. Swift Playgrounds training will be provided.
Computer science teachers and college students majoring in Computer Science, Engineering, Game Design, or Education are great candidates.
***Montgomery College accepts applications for Adjunct/Part-time Faculty on a continuous basis. Applications may be reviewed periodically based on the student enrollment needs. ***
• The listing of a course in the schedule of classes as “TBA” does not constitute an assignment.
• The hiring decision for part-time faculty involves an academic judgment and shall be determined at Management’s sole discretion.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, prepare and deliver remote Swift Playgrounds instructions to middle school age students.
- Manage remote classrooms effectively by implementing discipline, time management, and organization consistent with the program policy.
- Participate in weekly meetings and other administrative duties as determined by the program management.
- College degree and/or teaching experience.
- Teaching or tutoring experience. Experience teaching middle or high school age students is a plus.
- Experience with at least one coding language: Java, Python, C+,or similar.
- Punctual and reliable.
- Demonstrate initiative and flexibility.
- Energetic, creative, and be assertive enough to control a class of high energy elementary and middle school age students.
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written.
- Faculty members are expected to have access to a personal computer with virus protection that can connect to the internet outside of the work location (i.e., office, classroom, college campus)*. Montgomery College (MC) provides an MC e-mail account and access to the learning platform, password-protected faculty sections of the website, college listservs, and other faculty communications tools. *If you do not have access to a personal computer, please notify the department chair at the time of interview. Subject to available funds, the college may be able to provide temporary access to resources.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States without a sponsor.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire:
- Successful completion of a background check and degree verification (if applicable). Must provide proof of US degree equivalency for international degrees.
Friday, June 4, 2021
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace
For disability-related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two (2) weeks’ notice required to provide accommodations.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.