The Director of College Relations, Marketing and Communications is a vital position in the Division of Strategy and Outreach and will relentlessly promote Forsyth Tech, increasing awareness and positive public perception and attracting students. In support of the college’s mission, vision, and values, and under the auspices of the college’s equity statement, the Director will work diligently in a team-oriented, student-centric environment to provide creative and energetic leadership in developing and implementing a comprehensive branding, communications and marketing strategy, leveraging and integrating social media strategies.
The Director collaborates with all divisions of the college to assure that strategic direction, branding, design, development, and publication best support the college. The Director should be innovative, creative, organized and self-motivated with a keen interest in driving strategic messages to key internal and external role-players. The director is a strategic thinker and uses data to inform decision making. The Director develops, articulates, and executes all marketing and communications strategies under the direction of the Vice President of Strategy and Outreach and the President.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four year college or university. Note: Degrees and hours must be from a college accredited by a U.S. Dept. of Education accepted accrediting agency such as SACSCOC.
- Three years of experience in marketing and communications, or another related field.
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule to include day and evening hours as required.
- Excellent proficiency in both written and oral communication including the ability to convey information clearly for varied audiences.
- Strong project management skills, analytical skills, and the ability to thrive in a fast moving and challenging environment.
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
- Experience in developing strong relationships with media and demonstrated success in pitching and securing impactful coverage.
- Strong computer, problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, attention to details and follow through.
- Outstanding ability to work effectively in teams of diverse people and organizations.
- Passionate, hardworking professional with a positive attitude and an energetic outlook.
- Ability to re-prioritize tasks, remain flexible and support the institution based on frequently changing needs, even when faced with ambiguity.
- Knowledge of print production, direct mail, video, and photography.
- Highly developed collaboration, relationship, and consultative skills.
- Ability to function in a leadership capacity and as part of a division leadership team.
- Liaison effectively with president and other senior leadership team members.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and projects and handle deadlines and changing priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build effective teams.
- Professional and personal ability to work well with others.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Understanding of and commitment to the unique nature and role of community colleges in general and Forsyth Tech in particular.
- Master’s degree.
- Five years of progressively responsible experience in marketing and communications.
- Experience with marketing and communications in a community college or higher education
- Lead the Department of College Relations, Marketing and Communications team in developing and delivering internal and external communications through various media, enhancing public awareness and trust of the college.
- Serve as the college’s Public Information Officer. Develop local, state and national media opportunities, preparing and delivering requested information in advance through coordination and coaching of respective personnel to ensure consistent and concise messaging.
- Perform a variety of strategic and creative writing including but not limited to press releases, talking points, speeches, remarks, emails, articles, blog posts, success stories.
- Develop and administer an annual marketing plan and budget for the college consistent with deliberate application of the college’s brand, utilizing social media, written and oral communications, the college website and other publications in accordance with college and community needs.
- Lead and oversee all college communications content and campaigns for reaching prospective, new and current students, alumni, donors, media, etc.
- Work closely with teams from across the college to develop content and campaigns for reaching diverse audiences.
- Enhance awareness of the college and its brand through new and emerging media, as well as traditional marketing.
- Manage the development and design of marketing materials in coordination with the college to include targeted news releases, annual reports, internal and external publications, flyers and brochures.
- Continually look for innovative, new ways to improve and expand upon the college’s communications and marketing.
- Provide leadership of assigned team, lead efforts in departmental recruitment, interviewing, and training employees; plan, assign, and direct departmental work.
- Coordinate interdepartmental goals to ensure alignment with college goals and vision.
- Coach and provide ongoing performance feedback to employees, set realistic and measurable performance goals and ensure employees have appropriate professional development opportunities. Effectively manage performance and assist employees to meet established College standards and expectations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee will need to regularly operate and use computers, phones and other electronic equipment.
- The employee will frequently communicate with other employees and students and must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
- The employee may need to move around their office and / or campus to attend meetings / classes and to access files, machinery or other job related tools.
- The employee may need to lift and/or move equipment, tools or paperwork up to 25 pounds.
- The employee may need to position themselves by reaching, stooping, kneeling or crouching in order to adjust or collect equipment and/or supplies
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
Special Instructions to Applicants